Hiwatt, Sound City, Matamp, Marshall or ??? for next amp?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sicko

Hiwatt, Sound City, Matamp, Marshall or ??? for next amp?

Post by sicko »

I've got three great amps, but they're all EL84's (my fav tube). I'm starting a new stoner/psychedelic project and need something with a different favour- plus I need more headroom and volume.
I'm looking at offerings from Hiwatt, Sound City (the new ones which will be made by Fryette), Matamp and Marshall (plexi). I'm also open to just about anything else. No budget, so go wild.
Needs to take pedals extremely well and sound good with both singles (Tele + Jazzmaster) as well as buckers (LP). Great big cleans are absolutely essential.
Not completely necessary, but I'd really prefer something point to point wired/on turret board. I like looking at guts and hate seeing green PCB. I know that's stupid, just a personal thing.
duende

Re: Hiwatt, Sound City, Matamp, Marshall or ??? for next amp

Post by duende »

Hiwatt. You said you wanted big cleans. A marshal that does big cleans is super vintage and probably too procey
daCod

Post by daCod »

og HIWATT's are superb but finding an unmolested unfukked with one for a reasonable price is sometimes a bitch. Look at the HITONE DR103's and Clayton's new HT WEM style cabs loaded with his new crescendo clones. He's spent 4 years getting these dialed in to be Gilmour approved. Perfect pedal platform head and speaker combo. I love my HITONE DR103. Runnning his DRF speakers in one HITONE 412 and used to run a 50watt HITONE SAP into an old HIWATT 412 loaded with greenbacks. That amp was equally pedal friendly but with an added boost. It's the correct Page HIWATT. And Clayton should know. He has an original HIWATT prototype SAP amp in his shop :tu:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

Matamp or old Orange if you want big clean power
loads of head room :tu:
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

I would think a high-power Fender Black/Silver face would qualify. :coffee:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Old orange/matamp is a good choice. Also worth looking into Sunn amps. I personally think sunn is totally underrated, and they're cheap!!! (Except the model T). You're not going to want a marshall, they're not going to be clean enough. Hiwatt is also a great choice but it wonr have the low end of an orange or a sunn.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Possibly biased but..... Balls Hundo is about to make its debut. 100W platform, ultralinear like a Sunn, bax stack like an Orange....Gonna be a ripper.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Possibly biased but..... Balls Hundo is about to make its debut. 100W platform, ultralinear like a Sunn, bax stack like an Orange....Gonna be a ripper.

:popcorn:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Matamps are known for their clean power :marx:

Although thats not normally how mine is set :crackjam:

Did you nab that green bastard?
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
sicko

Post by sicko »

sluttyindian wrote:Matamps are known for their clean power :marx:

Although thats not normally how mine is set :crackjam:

Did you nab that green bastard?
I kind of got it... My good friend who knows I've been looking for one snagged it up quickly when it was listed and will sell it to me shortly- what a guy! I'm really looking forward to that thing!

So it seems like for the amps either Matamp or Hiwatt are my best bets... Can someone walk me between the differences of the two? I'm assuming the Matamps are more popular for the stoner/psychedelic genre. Also, how would a Sound City 120 compare?