Need advice for trusted music store in Brooklyn (NY)

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

rafmax

Need advice for trusted music store in Brooklyn (NY)

Post by rafmax »

Hello,
the facts : A friend in Brooklyn needs to buy a Martin D-18 new (birthday present)... no vintage this time :oldgrin:
Any advice about where you'd go for this ?
Thanks very much
Raf
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Need advice for trusted music store in Brooklyn (NY)

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

There's a few things to say here but it'll depend on time and your friend's location more than most.

- If they want to just go buy one that's in stock, i'd say Guitar Center or Sam Ash. There are a lot of guitar stores around but most of them that I know of dont have a large selection of new guitars (if they even do at all).

- If they're concerned with supporting an independent or getting a little setup on arrival, but have the gift of time they might seek out a shop and see if they'll special order one. Main Drag Music comes to mins, but there are lots, depending on specific location.

- Depending where you are and your mode of transport, often Manhattan is very easy to access, if not easier, than a lot of neighborhoods in Brooklyn that might have a guitar store. A place like Rudy's or Matt Umanov guitars is much more likely to stock new Martins than any guitar store i've been to in Brooklyn. Youd just have to call to find out.
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

Thanks very much... I forwarded Rudy's and both Sam Ash and Guitar Center (thought these GC were closed btw).
Cheers
Raf
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

South side guitars might be worth checking out as well
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

Matt Umanov closed shop a few years back unfortunately. Rudy’s gets some beautiful Martins, but D18’s have been scarce. I’m pretty sure TR Crandall and Retrofit mostly deal high end vintage. Main Drag is a Guild dealer, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new Martin in there. You'd think NYC would be filled with options, but most places cater towards electric or high end vintage sadly.