HELP! - Ibanez GA10 Micro Teacher Mini Amp

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

daCod

HELP! - Ibanez GA10 Micro Teacher Mini Amp

Post by daCod »

So i picked this up off ebay for cheap. Seller did not post any gut shots. I didn’t think twice to ask.
looked clean enough and came with power supply. link below. price was right. so SCORE, right? well...

it should look like this inside…

BUT...

What the hell is going on in here? Two big orange can caps, a lone resistor, two taped up 9v connectors… :idunno:

I drew this up based on what i can make out to help show things a bit more clearer. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
just want to make things right with this little gem.

resistor bands are brown black brown gold - forgot to include on drawing :oops:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Micro-Te ... 7675.l2557
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
John Lyons

Re: HELP! - Ibanez GA10 Micro Teacher Mini Amp

Post by John Lyons »

Beefed up power supply filtering I guess. Does it work?
What is the voltage of the supply?
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

The 100R resistor is there for current limiting purposes, and the caps are just filtering caps. Basically someone was using this with a shitty power supply or thought it needed additional (or some) power supply filtering to hush a noisy power supply. It can be removed, im sure.
daCod

Post by daCod »

havent fired it up yet. according to seller thru messaging he said it does work.

i want to run batteries not a supply. the included supply is pictured in the auction.
the back side say 200ma which seems kinda low...? right? it looks old.
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

As long as you have the battery connections set up right it should work fine and whatever filtering concerns he had wont be a problem because batteries are clean DC.
daCod

Post by daCod »

am i safe to remove the orange cans w/o killing myself?
the pictures i've seen show two AA battery holders so 4ea AA batteries total. any way to make it 9v?

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/ga10
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Re:

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

daCod wrote:am i safe to remove the orange cans w/o killing myself?
the pictures i've seen show two AA battery holders so 4ea AA batteries total. any way to make it 9v?
Yeah you can probably just clip the cans out, BUT you could always just check the voltage to be sure. ive zapped myself with smaller things before.

You can probably run it at 9V but that's 3V over normal. I cant imagine that anything would be that sensitive to the slightly higher voltage (namely, the IC) but there's always that remote possibility.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Welp it makes sound. A promising sound. Not a prominent sound but a sound none the less.
Removing the mod-mess tomorrow and fitting in two dual AA battery holders. Fingers crossed.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
lucy-guitar

Re:

Post by lucy-guitar »

daCod wrote:am i safe to remove the orange cans w/o killing myself?

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/ga10
No problemo, you may run the GA10 on 9 Volt. Next to In- and Output there is a 9V power jack too (for EH style wall warts with positive tip). Sometimes I hook mine up to a vinatge 4x12 Orange cabinet - big fun! You may use it as well as a Tube Screamer between your guitar and your amp. It's a nice versatile little bastard.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Bought 2 AA batt holders and safely removed the caps and resistor.
Stuck 4 fresh ones in it and it works alright BUT it actually sounds much better with a single 9v inside.

Figured I was alright since (as lucy-guitar pointed out) there's a 9v jack on the side.
The old ibanez power supply that it came with works just fine. Not sure why for the dude assed the extra shit inside :idunno:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")