Maestro Boomerang bg-1 fix?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

fernieite

Maestro Boomerang bg-1 fix?

Post by fernieite »

Hi guys,
Does anyone here have an electronic copy of the instructions that Joe Gagan sends with his Bg-1 boomerang pots? My newly acquired BG-1 Boomerang (with replacement Gagan pot) isn't working well.
Thanks. :tu:
Last edited by fernieite on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
HorseyBoy

Re: Gagan boomerang bg-1 pot instructions?

Post by HorseyBoy »

I'm not sure Joe does send instructions with his Boomerang pots. I've installed a couple without any issue - just solder them in. Obviously you need to make sure the wires go to the right lugs, but if you follow the existing wiring you should be sweet.

Setting the travel on the gear can be tricky, but Joe has a video that's linked on his Reverb page for the pot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu_ybjuP0x8
Last edited by HorseyBoy on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Ok, thanks man! I thought I had read in an ebay listing that he sent specific instructions for these pots. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'll have a look at that video you just linked. Thanks again.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Just don’t ask joe is he’s wearing a mask in public! :paranoid: :doh:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

redeyeflight wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm Just don’t ask joe is he’s wearing a mask in public! :paranoid: :doh:
What? :hmm: :hihi:

Update: I think the pot is working alright and adjusted properly, but the wah doesn't have much volume and it's pretty noisy/hissy.

I have it at my tech's place right now. Hopefully it's something simple. :popcorn:
Last edited by fernieite on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

fernieite wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:12 pm
redeyeflight wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm Just don’t ask joe is he’s wearing a mask in public! :paranoid: :doh:

Update: I think the pot is working alright and adjusted properly, but the wah doesn't have much volume and it's pretty noisy/hissy.
I have it at my tech's place right now. Hopefully it's something simple. :popcorn:
Check out gagan’s instagram for some completely insane and foolish behaviour. Spolier alert: he’s a psycho anti masker. He does make a great wah...carry on.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Re: Maestro Boomerang bg-1 fix?

Post by HorseyBoy »

I only just noticed the "BG-1" in the title. Is it really a BG-1, not a BG-2? So no volume pedal, just the wah? Killer score if it is - those don't come around very often. Definitely worth spending the time with the tech to get it working properly.
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Yeah, it's a bg1. :tu:

It seems to be making a nice wah sound through the full range of the pot, but it's very weak and there's a fair amount of hiss going on...
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

redeyeflight wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm
fernieite wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Check out gagan’s instagram for some completely insane and foolish behaviour. Spolier alert: he’s a psycho anti masker. He does make a great wah...carry on.
Oh ok. Gotcha. :tu:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

fernieite wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:22 pm Yeah, it's a bg1. :tu:

It seems to be making a nice wah sound through the full range of the pot, but it's very weak and there's a fair amount of hiss going on...
Nice score on the BG-1!

Hiss like that is pretty common on old wahs. Probably one of the resistors on the board drifting out of spec. Good luck tracking it down.