Show off your builds!

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

SonicVI

Re: Show off your builds!

Post by SonicVI »

John Lyons wrote:Looks cool sonic.
Is that the board I sold you?
I've been meaning to make up a pedal size turret board with that stuff for a while now.

Thanks and nope, I've never board anything from you. It's a 12x2 turret board from turretboards.com that I cut down to 9x2. I adapted the layout based on the original Mk1 layout.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Very nice work!
tatter

Post by tatter »

Sounds GREAT! What sort of gains did you use in Q1,2 and 3? I found Q1 needed to be low hfe?
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

tatter wrote:Sounds GREAT! What sort of gains did you use in Q1,2 and 3? I found Q1 needed to be low hfe?
For Q1 I used an OC75 with Hfe about 65 and leakage around 250uA. I too found lower gain was best here, but no TOO low. 30 for example was two low and didn't give good sustain or saturation.

Q2 is an OC71, Hfe about 95 and leakage somewhere around 200uA. I liked higher gain that Q1 here, but I didn't find that it mattered too much if it was a lot higher. I tried a couple of high gain 2N404a's (~120 and 140) I had and it didn't make a significant difference to the sound to me, maybe just where the sweet spot on the attack pot was.

Q3 is a CV7003 (mil spec OC44) with Hfe around 90 and leakage aroun 75uA. I found the gain to not be too critical but the lower the leakage the lower the noise.

The only substitution I made was log taper for the attack pot. It seemed most of the change in sound happened in the first 25% or so of rotation, so the log taper made it a bit easier to tune in the sweet spot.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
tatter

Post by tatter »

SonicVI wrote:
tatter wrote:Sounds GREAT! What sort of gains did you use in Q1,2 and 3? I found Q1 needed to be low hfe?
For Q1 I used an OC75 with Hfe about 65 and leakage around 250uA. I too found lower gain was best here, but no TOO low. 30 for example was two low and didn't give good sustain or saturation.

Q2 is an OC71, Hfe about 95 and leakage somewhere around 200uA. I liked higher gain that Q1 here, but I didn't find that it mattered too much if it was a lot higher. I tried a couple of high gain 2N404a's (~120 and 140) I had and it didn't make a significant difference to the sound to me, maybe just where the sweet spot on the attack pot was.

Q3 is a CV7003 (mil spec OC44) with Hfe around 90 and leakage aroun 75uA. I found the gain to not be too critical but the lower the leakage the lower the noise.

The only substitution I made was log taper for the attack pot. It seemed most of the change in sound happened in the first 25% or so of rotation, so the log taper made it a bit easier to tune in the sweet spot.
Cheers, i just bought a Peak Transistor Tester so i'll be able to be a bit more selective about my transistors now. I made a MK1 last year and never got it sounding quite right, i'll probably revisit it now.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

Sickle wrote:That's a great looking case, did you make that yourself?

No, it's a Hammond 1456 series. Mouser sells them.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg16.htm#15degree
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

tatter wrote:
SonicVI wrote:

Cheers, i just bought a Peak Transistor Tester so i'll be able to be a bit more selective about my transistors now. I made a MK1 last year and never got it sounding quite right, i'll probably revisit it now.
Cool. I'd love to get one of those too. I don't really use Ge trannies enough to justify the expense though. I don't know if mine sound exactly right, but it's good enough for me! :)
markom89

Post by markom89 »

geo wrote:I'm in. :smashed:
Dude, those are some of the nicest builds I've seen.
What's the extra knob on the side of the Buzzaround?
markom89

Post by markom89 »

noelgrassy wrote:Back in Septober or Octember I built a pedal housing a Rangemaster and a BuzzAround
with a rotary switch to flip the order of the FX. They were both Positive+ ground so it
seemed like a worthy task.

The result was much greater than the sum of their respective parts! The only amp it
doesn't completely "goose" in a wonderful way is my '62 Bassman 6G6-B. From SE types
to Komet and Express types this little guy punishes.

The AC125s weren't the final choice. I swung with NKT275s as I couldn't source any NKT213s. According to
Scotty (who has had 3 Burns BA pedals) The NKT275 doesn't sound any different and it was a better
grade xistor than the NKT213. YMMV

:bong2:
Likewise, that's fucking amazing.
How's the sound when the two are stacked?

Man, you guys got talent.

Also, SonicIV, that build's one of the nicest I've seen. Totally dig it.
geo

Post by geo »

markom89 wrote:Dude, those are some of the nicest builds I've seen.
What's the extra knob on the side of the Buzzaround?
Thanks!
I think i've got a long way to go compared with the gentlemen here. (moreover, i'm lazy :chillin: )
I've added a volume to tame it a little bit. It sounds better when maxed but it's useful when i don't want my ears to bleed too much. :headpop: