colorsound mighty atom!!!!

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

Creepyfingers

Re: colorsound mighty atom!!!!

Post by Creepyfingers »

Whoa those are rad
jerms

Re:

Post by jerms »

get_with_it wrote:mine :) - not as pretty as Jims
atom.jpg

your's looks rad ant!!! love the black/yellow combo!! :badlove: :badlove:
oceanview

Re:

Post by oceanview »

get_with_it wrote:still have a letter from Marc Bolan in the shop , asking for a couple of them .
I'm researching Marc's gear - can you tell me what he said in the letter and most important, the date? Many thanks.
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Really sorry - only just seen this

will try to check the date when i get back in - basically said please supply me with 2 mighty atoms in exchange for using my name in advertising . I think that was pretty good deal on our part !!!!

I get the impression we sent Marc just about every pedal we made - there is this rumpur that he named the Overdriver - would love to know if anyone has anything on that !!

:)

Ant
Yggdrazil

Post by Yggdrazil »

Cool sounding little amp!!!

Yeah, reissue plz!!!
Instagram:@Stonefly_effects

The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.>David Fair
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Old photo of mine
Electric Warrior

Re:

Post by Electric Warrior »

get_with_it wrote:Really sorry - only just seen this

will try to check the date when i get back in - basically said please supply me with 2 mighty atoms in exchange for using my name in advertising . I think that was pretty good deal on our part !!!!

I get the impression we sent Marc just about every pedal we made - there is this rumpur that he named the Overdriver - would love to know if anyone has anything on that !!

:)

Ant
He sure was an Overdriver user at one point..

Everything is transitional.
oceanview

Post by oceanview »

That photo is probably 73-74. He adopted the Coloursound wah pretty early probably 1969. But his distortion was generated in many ways. Bolan's guitar tones are tricky to get, in my view. I'd love to hear if anyone can cast any further light on the 1970 brown album. Some of it is a Shatterbox, but I'm not convinced that's the whole story, and at that time he had much less equipment. Vox amp, possibly Vampower also, Les Paul and Strat, Coloursound wah (possibly wah-fuzz), Rangemaster Treble Booster, Shatterbox, Watkins Copycat echo. There is another thread on the forum asking about the brown album which people could contribute to if they can.

The 2014 Deluxe edition of the brown album has some alternate mixes which reveal the guitar tone on tracks like Diamond Meadows, Jewel, Is It Love, Beltane Walk as never before. These are the tracks I'm trying to pin down. There must be people on this forum who will recognize the fuzz units from the quality of decay on the last chord of Diamond Meadows for example, the harmonic popping on Beltane Walk, or the wild fuzz of the solo on Jewel.

Yours in deep hope!
oceanview

Re: marc bolan guitar tones 1970

Post by oceanview »

This is a follow-up to my previous post asking about what gear generated Marc Bolan's guitar sound on the 1970 brown album. The track 'Is It Love' can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yuc2Sh-gYs

There are two guitar parts both toward the right of the stereo image. One of them is playing basic chords E, A, B7. I think this is the Les Paul. It has a woody, chunky sound – nothing like later conventional hard rock overdrive – and I’d like to know how I could approximate it. Marc might be using the Shatterbox but that's not always the answer.

The second sound is the very fuzzy single note guitar part which just sustains. It seems to have almost no decay. I assume this is some kind of fuzz pedal turned right up. I wondered whether the forum might be able to identify the pedal? If I knew what pedal this was, from the extreme use of it here, then it might explain some of the other less extreme guitar tones on this album.

Your views on this would be much appreciated.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

The one that's playing the chords is hard to identify. Can't be sure. Might be just a treble booster (tb half of the Shatterbox or Rangemaster) into an amp. Or just the fuzz half of the Shatterbox. Or maybe something entirely different. Could be a Vox Conqueror amp. He had one of those.

The single note guitar is the Shatterbox in all its fucked-up-ness. Both halfs on. Also on Beltane Walk and Diamond Meadows.

I have yet to see a pic of his wah from 1969 and 1970. Can't be sure if he got a Colorsound right away or started out with something different.
The wah in the Born to Boogie movie is probably a Wow Swell model (no fuzz), as it has a blue metallic paint job.
Everything is transitional.