Vox Supreme

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

Re: Vox Supreme

Post by jerms »

might just be this unit..... seemed odd that it would be quieter.... maybe philip will chime in...
Philip

Post by Philip »

jerms wrote:i think the only negative on this amp is that the distortion is pretty quiet compared to the straight signal.... definitely not unity..... is this normal?
Hmm, if it's below unity with distortion at full then that don't sound right.

All 3 of my vox solid state amps had quite a jump in volume from straight signal to fuzz effect once the fuzz was past a certain early point on the distortion control.

There are minor differences between the Jennings era amps and the VSL era, maybe this is one of them? I have my doubts though, maybe some caps or something need replaced?

:cheers:
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

That MRB 1-2-3 is sooo much fun!! :headpop:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Stu

Post by Stu »

Philip wrote:
jerms wrote:i think the only negative on this amp is that the distortion is pretty quiet compared to the straight signal.... definitely not unity..... is this normal?
Hmm, if it's below unity with distortion at full then that don't sound right.

All 3 of my vox solid state amps had quite a jump in volume from straight signal to fuzz effect once the fuzz was past a certain early point on the distortion control.
Yep, louder on my '68 Conqueror, and the MMB if you have a decent amount of distortion dialled in.

The MkIII (VSL era) had the output of the clipping stage padded by a pair of 240R resistors. The MRB and tone controls are a bit different as well.