My new Mayer/Wyllie/DIY octavia - pics and video

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

chatmatt

My new Mayer/Wyllie/DIY octavia - pics and video

Post by chatmatt »

So a few months ago I picked up a broken Roger Mayer rocket pedal on eBay for cheap - no guts at all, just the shell. I sent it off to my friend Rob in Florida (who makes the Fool guitars) and told him to go nuts. Make me something cool that only needs 2 knobs and isn't a fuzz I already have. Challenge!! He said that it felt like the right thing to do was to make an octavia, which I honestly wasn't too thrilled about. Holy shit was I wrong. He worked with Russ Rutledge (cozybuilder) on making an octavia based on the old Wyllie Moonstone that would fit in the tight confines of a Mayer enclosure. This meant building a daughter-board for the transformer to fit on and a few other 'creative' liberties. The end result is a retardedly dynamic and touch-sensitive fuzz that goes from complete squash and smash to sublime and perfect octaves. A keeper!

Side view of board:

Tight fit:

Nice knobs:

And lastly, recorded a quick sound test before running out to dinner tonight. I got a new SG in the mail today with action high enough to drive a truck under and the oldest strings in the world, but it kinda sounded good through the pedal, so.. SG -> Octavia -> Echorec -> 18watt -> v30
Last edited by chatmatt on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
innerflight

Re: My new Mayer/Wyllie/DIY octavia - pics and video

Post by innerflight »

can't see the pictures, sounds great though :tu:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
dronevil

Post by dronevil »

Ditto!
"Only analog is real. It's still actual magnetism; a tangible substance. Digital is theoretical; it's data."

- Geoff Evans of Asunder
Ben Lyman

Post by Ben Lyman »

Sounds great, Russ is a great guy, he has helped me out with a lot of stuff and I've learned so much from him.
Umm... have you tried the Wyllie with the Fuzz control all the way to the left? I think you might get the "swell" effect
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

Dang. My pictures never work any more! Ill figure out a better post method.
Ben - yes - it does swell big time! It actually does a ton of stuff with the gain knob in different positions. This video was just the first spot I landed on. What a versatile pedal with basically just volume and gain.