Getting Thick Punchy Kick

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

Tricalibur

Getting Thick Punchy Kick

Post by Tricalibur »

So how do you sound guys recommend getting a thick punchy kick sound? Massive bass EQing? Multi-band compressor? Whats the secret that I'm missing?
Sk10

Re: Getting Thick Punchy Kick

Post by Sk10 »

Tricalibur wrote:So how do you sound guys recommend getting a thick punchy kick sound? Massive bass EQing? Multi-band compressor? Whats the secret that I'm missing?
Live or in a recording setting?
Mic placement is a very important factor and the first step to get the sound you're aiming for.
terekhova

Post by terekhova »

There are loads of techniques, none of which I'm an expert in. However, here's an example of a trick using a speaker as a mic that seems to work for some people -
Chimp studio drum setup album demos '08
Chimp studio drum setup album demos '08
chimpstudio.jpg (491.15 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
cubba

Post by cubba »

Find a record where you like the kick sound and then set about finding out what drum they used and how it was mic'd.

I say this because there's lots of good kick sounds in many different music genres
and I think you'd do best knowing what sound you are looking for.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Tricalibur

Post by Tricalibur »

Cool stuff, but I'm working more with pre-recorded midi drums, so suggestions for post-recording would be great.
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

Tricalibur wrote:Cool stuff, but I'm working more with pre-recorded midi drums, so suggestions for post-recording would be great.
:puke:

:hihi:
cubba

Post by cubba »

Tricalibur wrote:Cool stuff, but I'm working more with pre-recorded midi drums, so suggestions for post-recording would be great.
You can try pulling out some low-mids, say around 350hz with a parametric.
That makes more room for the bottom and sweetens it a bit.
I also like really small rooms added post to the kick.
Something dark and Bonham like.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
emeka

Post by emeka »

Good advice from cubba. I'll add that in addition to finding out what kick sound you're after (from recordings), try to leave some space for it in the overall track mix. That may, MAY (depending on taste, setting, etc.), mean using some hi-pass filters on some of the other instruments and getting some subs out of the way for your kick sound. Or you might take the opposite approach and eq your bass instrument low and "pussify" your kick (with not many subs and more attack), just to keep them from competing (a different era/genres for sure). You also might play around with bringing out the attack of the beater on the head, which won't make it thicker but will often make it seem clearer.

Also check out some limiting and compression, if you want. Bottom line- don't be afraid to experiment, save your settings (write 'em down), and most importantly USE YOUR EARS. Some people isolate the kick and make it sound awesome alone before mixing in other instruments, but context is fucking important. A great kick sound by itself can be absolute crap if it doesn't fit the mix of whatever else you're working with, so if you don't mix in context, at least go back and forth and check it to make sure you're not heading in the wrong direction. Be patient, listen to your mixes on different speakers/headphones and good luck!
:bangs head: -> :bong2: -> :box: -> :freakout:
facebook.com/neptunemassivemusic

facebook.com/paermusic
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

use a thick and punchy sounding sample.
Everything is transitional.
CONAN
You cajn't bajn me

Post by CONAN »

Maybe wear heavier shoes?