1966 Bias

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

Nostalgia

1966 Bias

Post by Nostalgia »

Anyone knows how the 1966 was biased by the Captain?
Last edited by Nostalgia on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Re: 1966 Bias

Post by Lee »

Are you adjusting something in the Circuit? Is there a trimmer on the Circuit board? Yes the 1966 is modeled after a Vox Tone Bender
Nostalgia

Post by Nostalgia »

Yes there is a trimpot inside. I set it around -6.0v and it sounds fatter now!
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I was curious about this as well. Is this meant to be tweaked to taste or set by the builder and left well alone?
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

It’s an aid to help the builder tune the pedal, I wouldn’t touch it personally. Can’t beat Daves ears :badteeth:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
peps1

Post by peps1 »

hamoftruth wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pm I was curious about this as well. Is this meant to be tweaked to taste or set by the builder and left well alone?
Assume it's to have consistency across all the units, at least that's what I use trim pots for, save a lot of testing and matching components as you are talking around +/-5-20% tolerance in a single resistor, so being able to tighten that up with a trimpot is very handy. Sometimes you will come across trimpots with a dot of nail varnish on them to lock them in place.

Personal, I think the man has got some of the best ears in the game, so I would measure resistance and record it before changing. But, guess when it comes to something like fuzz it's very subjective....there is no right or wrong answer.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Pretty sure Dave replied to a query about trimpots before , along the lines of “ leave the fucking thing alone” :smashed: :hihi:
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

Very good. I know a lot of 2-transistor fuzzes have bias pots intended to be set to taste but I always want to be sure before I go messing with things. So much of the joy of 2-transistor designs for me is being able to dial in some sag, it's one of my favorite things about playing fuzz. But some fuzzes are clearly not designed to be tweaked.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues