Interesting TGP Thread

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

TheWarmth

Interesting TGP Thread

Post by TheWarmth »

I found this thread pretty frustrating. Thought you guys might want to see it, though:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=450020

Here is a sample post, regarding '66 Tonebenders (not specifically the D*A*M '66):

"I hate the tone, definitely one of my least favorite fuzzes. I find them raspy and unmusical. Imagine a Fuzz Face that's totally uncontrolled and over the top..

They aren't too rare, the "1966" is a clone of the original Vox Tone Bender, probably one of the most available models used. They've proven easier to find for me than any of more musical Mk. II variations and cheaper than the more mass produced Colorsound Tone Benders (Mk. III). Why? Because no one else wanted them either. Now? I don't know, DAM pedals have probably made them legendary."
tatter

Re: Interesting TGP Thread

Post by tatter »

Ha! I'll gladly take anyone's 'unmusical' Vox Tone Bender off their hands! I prefer the 1966 to the MKII personally, but i think you need to back off your volume to get the most out of it. It's more aggressive-sounding with the volume backed off if that makes sense?
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

What is wrong with those people? The guy who didn't like the red rooster is the worst imo. I mean how could it not "do it for you". I have sense those people don't know what they're talking about.
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

+1 I LOVE the fuzz sounds I get when I back off of my guitar's volume knob.

Also, I think that thewarmth and sickle do a fine job of injecting truth into a misinformed TGP thread.
Last edited by jimi_dylan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cado

Post by Cado »

That guy who called the 1966 unmusical obviously doesn't understand how different fuzzes can sound with different guitars & amps. So far I've played my 1966 through six different amps with the same guitar. For the most part, results were either great or very good. Through one amp, the results were actually along the lines of that guy's opinion. I was also shocked when I played my MKII through and old Laney Pro-Tube 50 Watt, It produced an octave! :freakout:
Cado

Post by Cado »

:hihi:
cubba

Post by cubba »

It's all good felluhs.
Let 'em stir up the pot, it's good for business.
Running there to get Dave's back, also a good thing.

My favorite records, pedals, foods, etc. have all been stuff I didn;t
totally "get" at the time.
I had to adapt, they changed me for the better,
DAM fuzzes are no exception to me.

I agree about the Red Rooster tho', who the hell doesnt get that one?
It's so easy on the ears.

:hmm:
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

Uggg ... I just posted two more times in this thread. I guess I should just let it go, but some of the recent posts are so fucking obnoxious.
fuzzlight

Post by fuzzlight »

Good question Sickle, :-D

Just been reading that thread too, i usually try and stay off the gear page, bad for my stress levels. :bangs head:
Good replies from the DAM lot tho' :dance:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Thanks guys! :badteeth: You really are part of the family. Don't ya just love the gear page...er...no. Every time I've been there I get into an bloody argument.
Any huw, interesting point about the Vox Tone Benders being "raspy and unmusical". I couldn't for shit sell those things when I started making them. The word on the street was that they sucked, the Fuzz Face was the king, the Vox TB had a really bad rap and no one famous used one so who gives a shit. Thing is the Vox TB has a lot of high frequency content but if anyone has ever played one at high volume into a dark amplifier those benefits are reaped tenfold. Saying a Vox TB is raspy and unmusical is like saying a Fuzz Face is woolly and un-dynamic...as it yes they can be but doesn't mean either is a bad pedal or one is better than the other. So the dude is right in someways. Soon as I heard the Vox I didn't want to touch a Fuzz Face again. Over rated way to dark badly biased and oscillates like fuck, thats my opinion on 90% of Fuzz Faces out there. I find the Vox has more bloom, better dynamics, and is more musical in how it distorts. Plus that extra high end cuts through even the muddiest of back lines. btw - Not blowing my own trumpet here, I'm blowing the trumpet of the Vox Tone Bender and whoever it be that designed it. Its a good pedal.

Oh yeah, and I do build slow to keep eBay prices high, I actually own two sweatshops in China and 3 years from now I'll be making 50 OC81D loaded MKII's a week and selling them for 100 bucks a piece. I also didn't realize it only cost me around 25 squid to make a MKII, man I am making a fuck load on those :hmm: