I think the 1966 is my favorite DAM

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

duende

I think the 1966 is my favorite DAM

Post by duende »

Just can't get over how many uses this pedal has. Stupidly I've had it on the back burner for years because I've been getting so much use out of my Titan and MKII.

However as of late, I've changed my playing style and have gotten really into using my volume knob for gain control on fuzzes and OD peds much more... always did it, but also worked the different gainers on the pedal board too.

Anyways just for kicks... I brought out the 1966. Just to remind myself how good it cleans up. And GOD DAM. The Super Bee mode had every fuzz and OD tone I wanted all in one pedal.

So now... my Titan and my MKII are taking a rest. And the '66 is officially on my pedalboard!

The 66 into the Red Rooster gets me well into MKII landia, and also cleans up better. With my amp up just a bit louder, I can also get the mild OD sounds of the ST with my Red Rooster slamming my amps front end. With my '66 cleaned up a tad I get chunky rhythm tones and dynamic lead tones.

I can't remember ever being this pleased with my guitar tone and sonic flexibilty. It's always been a struggle between trying to get all the sounds in your head vs. keeping the pedal count to a minimum on the board.

Sometimes there is an easy way out! :cheers:

(needless to say... this new Super Bee ped has definitely got me curious!)
JP30

Re: I think the 1966 is my favorite DAM

Post by JP30 »

:headbanger:

1966 was my first D*A*M pedal, and what got me into all this... I love it !!
I am a big fan of Super Bee mode too !

i am sure that many people will disagree, but 1966 definds what germenium fuzz is . . . to mee anyways . . .

i like 1966 better than ST or MK2... :panic:
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

I definitely love the 66. It was my first one too! :cheers2:
Cado

Post by Cado »

:agree: The Fuzz Sound is on its way here, I wonder if it will out perform the 1966.
PlumCrazy

Post by PlumCrazy »

I don't think "outperform" is the right term, they's different animals. The thing that's great about the 66 vs other pedals is that it's not as over the top. So you get more amp character in the mix - more tube overdrive, me thinks. As long as you have a good amp you get a great mix when used together.
http://www.plumcrazyfx.com
Everytime i comb my hair, thoughts of u get in my eyes.
kb892

Post by kb892 »

Sickle wrote:... open, articulate, not compressed
that's it right there, keeps the fuzz right up there in your face :badteeth: I love my 66 also and it was also my first D*A*M pedal and the one that got the obsession going
:badlove: :roll: :smashed: :tu:
kb892

Post by kb892 »

"sizzling" springs to mind
Cado

Post by Cado »

PlumCrazy wrote:I don't think "outperform" is the right term, they's different animals. The thing that's great about the 66 vs other pedals is that it's not as over the top. So you get more amp character in the mix - more tube overdrive, me thinks. As long as you have a good amp you get a great mix when used together.
I did mean out perform, I just wasn't clear on how I meant it. In addidion to everything that's been said of the 1966, I find it functions (in a practical sense) better than every other fuzz I've tried in a live setting. Obviously, Sickle's Fuzz Sound will not see any gigs while it is in my posession, but I hope to play it in a rehearsal studio at gig volume before it continues on its journey.
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

Sickle wrote:the new Superbee mode, incredible, huge wall of fuzz, but open, articulate...
I gotta quote you there... exactly my feelings... It fuzzes up your low notes excellently but doesnt compress the overall sound. Very particular sound... the only fuzz I have tried that gave the chills... loving it more and more everytime I plug it in.

I've never tried a MKII before, but this 1966 is DAMaged goods! :fatbob:
Live Slow... Die old...
duende

Post by duende »

Cado wrote:
PlumCrazy wrote:I don't think "outperform" is the right term, they's different animals. The thing that's great about the 66 vs other pedals is that it's not as over the top. So you get more amp character in the mix - more tube overdrive, me thinks. As long as you have a good amp you get a great mix when used together.
I did mean out perform, I just wasn't clear on how I meant it. In addidion to everything that's been said of the 1966, I find it functions (in a practical sense) better than every other fuzz I've tried in a live setting. Obviously, Sickle's Fuzz Sound will not see any gigs while it is in my posession, but I hope to play it in a rehearsal studio at gig volume before it continues on its journey.
This is inspiring to hear, especially as basically I'm going to be relying on it for many different dirt needs. But I am curious why you feel this way about the '66 in a live setting?

Love the MKII, but that box is most definitely a fuzz commitment. When it's on it is on, there's no two ways about it. It'd good for blowing holes through stage mixes and nuetering fellow bandmates.

The '66 gives me those retro tones I hear in my head... and I'm not just only talking about fuzz tones too.

Can't wait to try it live! :band:

Thanks for all the insights guys!