Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

bloody_sunday

Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

Post by bloody_sunday »

Hi guys... first post, and glad to be here. I have been following DAM for quite some years now (since the beginning, actually) but have never bought one. In spite of being a fuzz maniac, I've unfortunately never tried one myself. This is going to change soon as I am waiting for my name to come up in the V&R list for a Meathead Dlx.

So after doing a bit of brush-up on what pedal is available and what is not, I saw that the 1966 is no longer in production, although I got confused by its existence in the "In Production" section of the forum, as well as its official page not being in the "Discontinued" area. Am I correct in thinking that it is out of production?

This question leads me to my second one: I've heard some clips of the '66 side of the 1966 pedal, and I liked them very much. I know that the Super Bee side was tweaked a bit and is available on its own, but what about the '66 side? If I am not mistaken, it's a reproduction of the Vox Tone Bender with the 2 trannies. I don't think I would be interested in a new Super Bee (heard comparison clips but liked the old 66 side better), or in one of the new David's Macari 3 tranny Benders. So what would be your suggestion for a currently produced DAM pedal that is as close as humanely possible to that '66 side? And how would you compare this suggestion to a Fulltone Soulbender (which I have)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Salvation is a last-minute business, boy.
kb892

Post by kb892 »

the 66's future is a bit mysterious for sure, to paraphrase i think it's been said that it will be reborn. what the new incarnation will be like is up for speculation for now. probably the closest thing that you can get in line for is the drag'n'fly if you're not interested in the super bee. the meathead deluxe will probably suit you well from what you've said. i really love the 66 mode of my early 66 and recently picked up a second meathead deluxe and couldn't be happier with it... can go from a gritty almost rat like boost to full blown saturated fatty fuzz and all points in between :zgrin:
worldcatalyst

Re: Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

Post by worldcatalyst »

How close is the Drag'n'fly to the 66'? :coffee:
worldcatalyst

Post by worldcatalyst »

Interesting... The only time I got to play a 66' was at a local pawn shop and the only amps they had were fender reissues so that high end sure was apparent. Thought the more I keep hearing about the dnf, the more I want one. Seems like David was right on the money with this one.:crackjam:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I would also suggest the Dragon Fly as sonically closest to the '66 and second that it would have to be set up just right. All genius builds to me.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Yes, definately the drag n fly. Although the 1966 has it's own voice as well. If you can hack the price 500-600 bucks is what youll be paying for a used 66. Could probably find an original vox tone bender for a but less too.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bloody_sunday

Post by bloody_sunday »

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the late reply - working hard these days.

I've heard clips of the 66 side of the 1966, and what I enjoy about them is that they give this tone that is fuzzy on one hand, but relaxed, vintage-y and "fresh" on the mids and highs. The clips of the 66 side, Vox-Tonebendery as they sound, also remind me of the beautiful tones that Utley of Portishead has. For the time being, I don't need a heavy riff fuzz (all my needs are covered there, although the Meathead is coming as well). I like raspy tones, but on the other hand not very shrill, and I have a bright amp to begin with (Boogie MKII with EVL).

I listened to the official page clips of the Drag'n'Fly and the Super Bee, and done a bit more reading as well. The Bee sounds a little dark and the Drag'n'Fly not as Tone Bender-y as I would like... If the Captain offered a 1966 with just its 66 side, I'd be all over it. I wish he had a two-tranny Bender on offer... Does he have any copyright problems with the guys at JMI?

Now I know perfectly well that a lot of things are involved in the process of recording such as the mic used, the orientation towards the cone, the distance, the preamp, the tube amp used, its overall volume etc. (I am in general a music tech maniac as well). However, I am just trying to use my imagination, even though I realise I might be completely wrong.

The Super Bee, if I remember correctly, is a tweaked version of the older Super Bee side. which in turn just had a different cap like Sickle said. Doesn't this additional tweaking create some sort of different gain structure? Has anyone compared it to the Fulltone Soulbender? (Yes, I know they don't even have the same trannies...)

Sorry for the huge post once again. Are there any comparison clips between the 66 side, the new Super Bee and the Drag'n'Fly, in the way Grygrx did in http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3511 ? That would be fantastic...
1bottlerocket

Re:

Post by 1bottlerocket »

bloody_sunday wrote:... Does he have any copyright problems with the guys at JMI?...
If I understand your question, you are asking if Dave is worried about infringing on a trademark? As I understand it, Dave owns the trademark to the Tonebender name so I guess a better question would be, are JMI having any copyright problems?

I think Dave's biggest problems is too high demand and not enough time to do it all. I like your suggestion of tweaking the cap values, it sounds interesting to fine tune the pedal to your needs.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
bloody_sunday

Re: Re:

Post by bloody_sunday »

1bottlerocket wrote:I like your suggestion of tweaking the cap values, it sounds interesting to fine tune the pedal to your needs.
No, I didn't say that, I was wondering why (again, please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no two-transistor Vox Tonebender design by DAM at the moment... the new Super Bee is close but not exact. It would be interesting to be able to switch cap values, but that is actually the 1966 design all over again! We have to respect David's decisions. And I wouldn't even consider modding a Super Bee because I suppose that would be the equivalent of someone messing with a Van Gogh painting.
cubba

Re:

Post by cubba »

bloody_sunday wrote: The Super Bee, if I remember correctly, is a tweaked version of the older Super Bee side. which in turn just had a different cap like Sickle said. Doesn't this additional tweaking create some sort of different gain structure? Has anyone compared it to the Fulltone Soulbender? (Yes, I know they don't even have the same trannies...)

I can cover you on the Soulbender.
I have one of these and it's got more low-end than a 1966.
The '66 has that raspy, British, 1960's quality, very distinct and very classic.
The Soulbender sounds much more 70's to me, more like a TB meets a Big Muff.
I really like my Soulbender, lots of gain and heft to it and a tank of a build.
But to be honest, I like the Fuzz Sound even better.

I think the Super Bee mode on the '66 just EQ's the signal to have more bottom.

What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende