Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

1bottlerocket

Re: Re:

Post by 1bottlerocket »

bloody_sunday wrote:
1bottlerocket wrote:I like your suggestion of tweaking the cap values, it sounds interesting to fine tune the pedal to your needs.
No, I didn't say that…I suppose that would be the equivalent of someone messing with a Van Gogh painting.
Oops, misunderstood you. :doh:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
bloody_sunday

Post by bloody_sunday »

Thanks a lot, Cubba!
Salvation is a last-minute business, boy.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

You're probably best off looking for an original vox tonebender. Sounds like that's the sound you're after. I believe Plum Crazy has one for sale in the money pit. Otherwise eBay might be a good place to look. They actually are usually not super expensive. Or you could go the other route and sell your soul for a 1966 like I did! And it was well worth it.... :marx:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
ChasJ

Re:

Post by ChasJ »

redeyeflight wrote: If you can hack the price 500-600 bucks is what youll be paying for a used 66. Could probably find an original vox tone bender for a but less too.
I've been watching 1966's on ebay for a while now. That does seem to be the going rate, despite at least one seller lately asking $1000.

I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off buying a Vox TB. But then I wonder what my chances are of getting a lemon. Sure would be nice to hear one in person before hitting the bid button.
Scott

Post by Scott »

yeah the 1966 is a pedal i will not be selling! It does so much and is sooo fucking cool. its that old time fuzz that David has masterfully recreated!!
1bottlerocket

Re:

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Scott wrote:yeah the 1966 is a pedal i will not be selling! It does so much and is sooo fucking cool. its that old time fuzz that David has masterfully recreated!!
You got that right! I have three of them and love them all. I have no plans to sell any, that's for sure. D*A*M pedals are very hard for me to let go.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Scott

Re: Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

Post by Scott »

that is SO true rocket. It's extremely difficult to think about letting ANY DAM pedal go, unless, maybe i had duplicates. It's hard enough to get one in the first place and they are SO hard to GET in the first place!! But if ever in a jam, they are there for you. Hmmm, "i feel like going to Thailand, oh theres an original yellow super bee" Yaay! Hello cheap massages!! :hihi: now THAT'S an emergency!! :popcorn:
bloody_sunday

Re: Closest DAM currently produced that gives the 66 side sound?

Post by bloody_sunday »

Hi guys, thanks once again for your answers and comments. This is a small update: I have ordered a Super Bee and I am in V&R's list. I know it will sound a little different than the traditional Vox Tone Bender, but I am willing to go a bit further in this quest. I just hope it will sound vintage-y and gentle without being too gainy, because I have more than enough fuzzes that do the "mega-riff" thing.

An old Vox pedal would be nice, but they are too expensive for me at the moment, plus I also believe that like old ge Fuzz Faces, their consistency might leave a lot to be desired (meaning, paying a fortune for one and then finding out that it sounds awful).

I wouldn't necessarily need an expensive 1966, just a simple, honest recreation of the Vox Tonebender by David's hands... until that day comes, I guess I'll just hope he decides to do it again (even in a limited run when he finds a nice batch of transistors).
Salvation is a last-minute business, boy.