Bias adjustment

Hybrid fuzz tones to achieve sonic enlightenment.

Moderator: The Captain

D Mocker

Bias adjustment

Post by D Mocker »

I just bought a used Drag'n'Fly off the forum. It's my first D*A*M pedal and it sounds great, but I wonder if I need to adjust the bias. On the D*A*M website it says "unity at full bore is the norm". On my pedal unity volume is around noon and it picks up radio stations even at lower levels. Do I just turn the little white dial counter clockwise?

Thanks,
Damon Mocker
"Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong" -Isaiah 28:22
http://www.myspace.com/meetthemockers
Cado

Re: Bias adjustment

Post by Cado »

Probably best to leave it especially if it sounds good. I find that a fuzz's output has a lot to do with the amp being used.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

D Mocker wrote:Do I just turn the little white dial counter clockwise?
Oh, that way lies madness.
Madness and dragons...Lots of dragons. Go no further, for death awaits you with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

:hihi:

The newer Fly's do have a tad more volume than the older models but the overall output volume will appear to vary with different geetars and amps. The trimmer adjustment, I imagine, will not cease any radio interference. That will be down to your location.

Altering the trimmer in the Fly will do no harm so if you wanna double check for yourself just be sure to make a note or mark the current setting of the trimmer pot. Best advice I can give in messing with trimmer pots...use the correct size of screw driver. :tu:
D Mocker

Post by D Mocker »

Thanks for the replies. I'll just leave it alone. I played it some more today and I certainly have no compaints about the tone. :headbanger: Even the radio signals add some cool weirdness. :cool:
D Mocker

Post by D Mocker »

I just want to post an update on this issue. I replaced my old cables with Lava cables. All noise issues have been cured and the Fly is sounding better than ever.
fuzzface6669

Post by fuzzface6669 »

I would like to try one of these.
imsilly

Post by imsilly »

After reading this thread I spent some time twiddling the bias of my Drag'n'Fly and it did a world of good.

The setting it came with would splutter out a bit after a while like a little two-stroke engine running out of gas. I messed around a while to get the smoothest setting that still had enough hair and the performance of the pedal was dramatically improved. I suggest the first thing anyone should do when they receive this pedal is set the bias to your liking.

What worked best for me was maxing the 'Attack' and 'Filter' knobs and putting the 'Level' knob at unity, then I held a note and adjusted the small pot inside until the note wasn't spluttering and juddering randomly. Then I did minor adjustments to the bias until the pedal was as fat sounding as possible without the sound randomly cutting out. Though if you are looking for a spluttering sound you can do the opposite.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

imsilly wrote: I suggest the first thing anyone should do when they receive this pedal is set the bias to your liking.
I would suggest if peoples boughted it new they leave it the fuck alone. :party:
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

The Captain wrote:
imsilly wrote: I suggest the first thing anyone should do when they receive this pedal is set the bias to your liking.
I would suggest if peoples boughted it new they leave it the fuck alone. :party:
Ha! You should weld them shut. No moustache on Mona Lisa please. :hihi:
Condolences, the bums lost!