For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

skybone

Post by skybone »

#13... Slo Mo Mojo Meathead...
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

yum. that is a fine fuzz box right there! i look forward to the day i can snag one of this O.G. darks spawn... im on the v&r list and just chillin' till i get the call
analog love <3/
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

the meathead lettering on that one is badass!!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
pulse.

Post by pulse. »

So is it different than the later models? Is it closer on the first ones?
skybone

Post by skybone »

It IS one of the first ones... hence #13.

Later one's became less bass focussed (IIRC), and then came to fruition with the "Standard" & "Dark" flavoured Meat's a year or so back.
cubba

Re:

Post by cubba »

slomatic wrote:.....and it's mine all mine! Still THEE GREATEST fuzzbox I've ever used, battered, bruised but much loved. This is the one that changed the way I play music, and sent me down a dirge ridden path of filthy doom, whilst also solving the "no bassist" problem. I generally don't swallow all that crap about Mojo, but if such a thing exists then Dave poured a full measure if it into this fuzz.

Well Dave, you've been bitten by the "mojo" bug.
There are the uninitiated who look at mojo as a myth or a snake-oil, money-makin' adjective sales pitch (sometimes it is, buyer's beware!),
but I say that until you find something that has it, you will never know what it truly is.
I have some precious gear that has "it" that I will never sell off because somehow the combination of physics
or, if it be so .... metaphysics has shed something special on that piece of gear and for me it makes all the difference in the world.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
pulse.

Re:

Post by pulse. »

skybone wrote:It IS one of the first ones... hence #13.

Later one's became less bass focussed (IIRC), and then came to fruition with the "Standard" & "Dark" flavoured Meat's a year or so back.
Yes but there are different transistors on #8, so I believe that was a bunch of different versions.
skybone

Post by skybone »

I think there was a lot of experimentation on those early pedals, and a lot of tweaking. The stars aligned and shone down on #13.

Had a Shrew for a while (#2), which I believe was another experiment from around that time... a bass-y wee beastie it was too.
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

My bandmate Chris had what I think was Meathead #3, and it was - like the Shrew - more of a dirty boost than a flat out fuzz. As far as I know #13 was one of the first featuring the circuit we now know as the MH, although like most DAM boxes I guess that circuit has changed over the years. Certainly this one is the heaviest MH I've used, and I'd include the Dark in that.
Volume over talent
stella_blues

Re: #13

Post by stella_blues »

David from Slomatics was kind (brave?)enough to loan this meathead to Fuzzlounge John and I was lucky enough to give it a try out last week :party:

It's looking a bit worse for wear since the Captain posted pics here, and I can see why.....it sounds fucking glorious :crackjam: ....has a great weight to the tone without being over gainy , less gain than the slomeat but still a serious low end heaviness and a fast enough attack, keeping things defined and not mushy like a fuzz face can.
There's def some mojo in this wee beastie, awesome tones and also cleans up amazingly well. But this thing is about bringing the heavy and it delivers in spades :headbanger:

Thanks John and David, really chuffed to try the OG Dark Meat :tu: