M-25: My favorite D*A*M fuzz?

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

M-25: My favorite D*A*M fuzz?

Post by imguitardan »

I've got a Sola MKII, 1966, M-25 and Red Rooster. I love the '66 and MKII. Somehow, the M-25 straddles the gap between the two! The voice is right in between the '66 and SB modes on the 1966 (yet not as raspy) and can be thick like the MKII ((though not as smooth) yet has a little more top end).

I NEVER would have believed that a Si FF type pedal could win out over those other legendary tones! This and John's Basic Audio stuff are the only inoffensive Si fuzzes I've played (feel & sound like Ge). Anyhow, this and a Skinpimp MKI on my board and I'm COVERED!

Seriously, I can't believe how much I like this pedal. It's certainly not just the doom fuzz sound I was expecting.

:tu:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
cubba

Re: M-25: My favorite D*A*M fuzz?

Post by cubba »

imguitardan wrote:
Seriously, I can't believe how much I like this pedal. It's certainly not just the doom fuzz sound I was expecting.

:tu:

Yeah, I think it's actually kinda' smooth for all that gain it produces.
The bottom-end is incredible on this pedal. Really sweet. Gobs of level available too, which I always appreciate.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Braden

Post by Braden »

Another fan here. I agree ^ about the bottom end being incredible but with that it is worth stressing just how much character and definition the tone retains even at its bassiest. I can hardly believe it sometimes that such a massive wall of crushing doom can still retain string clarity and lots of that classic, whooly, fuzzy texture. Never even gets close to being muddy.
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Confirmed.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

yep, top 3 for me!
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I like how the deluxe can really cut through the din and still sound fat, its a really clever and well executed design that just plain works! Ive actually been using the lower gain sounds it can produce a lot lately, it compliments the higher gain settings i use on my rat perfectly!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

I prefer my older small box meathead deluxe to my newer m-25. IDK it is just more vintage sounding and raspy, yet can be as fat as my standard meathead dark. It is just rougher around the edges. Sounds really crusty and delicious.

there just seems like there is more of a seperation between that one and my drag'n fly than the m-25...it is a great pedal though
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.