D*A*M Meathead B&G Fiesta!!! Aye ye ye

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

edkoppel

D*A*M Meathead B&G Fiesta!!! Aye ye ye

Post by edkoppel »

So the Meathead has always been the most intriguing of the DAM boxes to me,
and at this point the only dam pedals I own are Meatheads!

Today I finally got in the amazing Meathead Deluxe M-25 in this sick black and gold warpaint.
Call me vain, but I had to have this badboy to complete my B&G Trifecta of DOOM.
meet the family;
B&G Meathead, Meathead Dlx M-25 and Meathead Dark:

So I was initially disappointed when I had heard that the Meathead Darks were no longer in production, seeing as how I was on that list and my name was pretty close to coming up. Luckily I was able to track one down, but I really wanted to try out the M-25 since the demos I heard sounded amazing. I already had the B&G Meathead and that thing was great, but there were definitely some differences between that and the Dark, so why not get the DLX too...?

The B&G Meathead from 2008 has been talked about by some folks on here as their "favorite fuzz". I was lucky enough to grab one off the forum a while back and I instantly fell in love. It has such a smooth tone to it but can still do that nice Crunch you would normally expect from a Big Muff. It loves the lead tones but also really excels at rhythm playing. I find myself cranking out some Helmet every time I plug in!
I was really surprised because it somehow achieves heaviness without much lowend? So kudos to the Capt. for that one. :cheers:
There's a couple demos on youtube, but I recommend tracking one down to hear it for yourself.
This really is a fantastic sounding pedal.

The Meathead Dark, from the descriptions I had heard, was really the pedal I had been looking for, and when I got it I was not disappointed at all. It has noticeably more gain available than the B&G Meathead does. It also has this MASSIVE low end that crushes anything in its path. Backing off the guitar volume just a bit removes some hair and brings you into creamy smooth, but heavy as fuck territory. This is the pedal that any Doom, Stoner or even Death Metal guitarist should own. I would hate to be the bassist in the band where the guitar player is rocking an MHDark! There is the 1 GMD demo of it on youtube, and although he rocked it out nicely, his playing style doesn't really compliment the full awesomeness of this pedal. Again, if you can find one, do.

The M-25 Meathead Deluxe seemed like it would be the more versatile version of the Meathead Dark, which to me was a great thing. The Captain stated that it could get the Dark's tones with the Tone knob all the way to the right and the gain maxed. Well I A/B'd them and although they aren't exactly the same, only a freak would be able to tell the difference! So if you were on the Dark list I wouldn't worry at all about getting the Deluxe instead. It's just as boomy, heavy and crunchy as the Dark. The differences I heard were that there was a little bit more low-midrange in the M-25, which helps it stick out in the mix, but its not quite as smooth as the Dark. They both react the same to playing style, tone&volume changes and stacking with other pedals. This really is a fucking awesome and devastating device. The tone control is kind of weird, but I think I just need to get used to it. It seems like instead of lowpass filter, that it can bump the mids or eliminate them? I could be wrong though.

So, is there a reason to have all 3?
Yes! Hell yes!
and you should too/
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

Nice collection!
cubba

Re: D*A*M Meathead B&G Fiesta!!! Aye ye ye

Post by cubba »

Great post Ed, thx for review and pics.
I had a new blue M-25 for a few months and loved the smooth fuzz tones it made.
It had somewhat of a recorded tone to it, if that makes sense. Like in, you were listening back to a recorded track.
Low-noise, but still pretty high gain. Just had that perfectly balanced sound happening.
OK, I did sell it :doh: to fund the MK1.5 which is coming up soon and because it wasn't a sound that fits my current musical style,
but I will find another one somewhere down the line.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
GuitarOtoko

Post by GuitarOtoko »

That is a damn fine trio you got there Ed! :badlove:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Once you go black...
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

That's what she said. :hihi:
Condolences, the bums lost!
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Very cool Ed, thanks for the description. :tu: I just got my BnG deluxe in as well and although I haven't had a ton of time to compare it to the BnG meathead dark I have I'd say the deluxe has a bit less gain on tap than the dark...I need to crank em at high volumeage a bit more though...something I'll do quite soon hopefully! :crackjam: I really want to get an original BnG meathead one of these days, for some reason every time one pops up I'm too late to snag it! :bangs head:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Scott

Post by Scott »

Awesome collection Ed. :captain: :crackjam: :tu:
edkoppel

Re:

Post by edkoppel »

redeyeflight wrote:Very cool Ed, thanks for the description. :tu: I just got my BnG deluxe in as well and although I haven't had a ton of time to compare it to the BnG meathead dark I have I'd say the deluxe has a bit less gain on tap than the dark...I need to crank em at high volumeage a bit more though...something I'll do quite soon hopefully! :crackjam: I really want to get an original BnG meathead one of these days, for some reason every time one pops up I'm too late to snag it! :bangs head:
yeah, the Dark has a little bit more gain but not by much.
I actually like both pedals with the gain maxed and the guitar's volume rolled back a hair.
:crackjam: :cthulhu2: :crackjam:

So we're planning on doing a DOOM tourbox over at HCFX with a few other nerds.
I'm going to include the MHDeluxe M-25.
other dudes are putting in,
Black Arts Pharaoh
Mountainking Megalith
Sanford & Sunny Blue Beard
and a couple pedals I never heard of...

So it'll be cool to see where the Meathead falls into the crowd.

I'll let you guys know when it gets going, which should be in the next couple weeks.
we're getting a special Pharaoh made just for the tour!
---
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
ekimtoria

Post by ekimtoria »

Great information here! Thank you.