Match made in heaven!

Tone-Bending electronic fuzz unit, harmonic generator with 20 second sustain.

Moderator: The Captain

duende

Re: Match made in heaven!

Post by duende »

Cado... I manned up and just brought the Tele into bed with me and my gal. It went over better than I expected.... Sometimes a direct line of attack works it seems. ;) :D
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

duende wrote:
The Captain wrote:
duende wrote: Has anyone compared the old MKIIs to the new Macaris??
Anyone here try the Don Mare "Donocaster" pups?? I have a 0038 (broadcaster clone) on order, but it specs out pretty high in the ohms. Don't want to throw a wrench into the mix, so I'm thinking of changing my order and getting some of his more traditional lower output pups.

What say you??
What transistors do you have in your D*A*M MKII? My Macari SS MKII has about 3/4ths the gain of my OC81D D*A*M. Both are killer with my Tele which has Fender Nocaster Pickups.
Cado

Post by Cado »

:choke:
duende

Post by duende »

Sauniere wrote:
duende wrote:
The Captain wrote:
duende wrote: Has anyone compared the old MKIIs to the new Macaris??
Anyone here try the Don Mare "Donocaster" pups?? I have a 0038 (broadcaster clone) on order, but it specs out pretty high in the ohms. Don't want to throw a wrench into the mix, so I'm thinking of changing my order and getting some of his more traditional lower output pups.

What say you??
What transistors do you have in your D*A*M MKII? My Macari SS MKII has about 3/4ths the gain of my OC81D D*A*M. Both are killer with my Tele which has Fender Nocaster Pickups.
Thanks for the info! My DAM MKII is an oc81d tranny version too. I'll keep you informed on the pickup situation. I think its gonna be something special!
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

duende wrote: Thanks for the info! My DAM MKII is an oc81d tranny version too. I'll keep you informed on the pickup situation. I think its gonna be something special!
:party:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

duende wrote:It's official. My MKII is back out of retirement. My 1966 goes back on the shelf. The 1966 has some killer over driven tones that I'll miss, but the Tele into the MKII gives me the Fuzz Twang that just can't do without. Must be my middle age.

Has anyone compared the old MKIIs to the new Macaris??
I am with you on the Tele/MK II combo. I recently scored a Tele and ran it through my Champ with the Sola, it sounds heavenly.

RE Don Mare, I spoke with him recently and I am going to spring for a set of His "Nancy" pickups and see how they go. He offered a money back guarantee , so you can't go wring with that. I have a set of his Strat pickups and they do the quack in spades.

Finally, Thanks Captain for making those Sola MK II builds. I probably sound like a broken record and I will say it again, it is the best-est fuzz I have ever played, bar none!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
cubba

Post by cubba »

Al ... I always knew you'd come back to the MkII!
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
duende

Post by duende »

cubba wrote:Al ... I always knew you'd come back to the MkII!
Yeah you did!!

Paul... I'm telling you mannn. Go get yourself one of these $400 MIM 60's classics! Give the vintage Jazzmaster a rest. These things are too cool for the money. I'm swapping out alot of the cheesy hardware, but when I'm done... This is gonna be one real player!!!
duende

Post by duende »

1bottlerocket wrote:
RE Don Mare, I spoke with him recently and I am going to spring for a set of His "Nancy" pickups and see how they go. He offered a money back guarantee , so you can't go wring with that. I have a set of his Strat pickups and they do the quack in spades.
I finally settled on his new hot Bakelite set. A bit hotter in the bridge than standard tele bridge pups, but not as hot as the broadcasters. I just didn't want to go into p90 teritory with this guitar. Not yet anyways.. That might change later of cours.
duende

Post by duende »

Follow up...

Got my Don Mare "Hot Bakelites" for the tele. Beyond a doubt the best purchase I made all year. Talk about woody tone. Mannnn... in the neck pickup, hitting a low E is like solid wood. The sound coming from these pups is so tangible and dynamic... no farting out or weird compressing happening here. And I have them dialed pretty tight to the strings too.

Best vintage sounding pup out there imo. I had no idea how much tone was in the pups. I thought I did... but these raised the bar 10 fold.