Transistor type, which is bestest?

Tone-Bending electronic fuzz unit, harmonic generator with 20 second sustain.

Moderator: The Captain

Sage

Re: Transistor type, which is bestest?

Post by Sage »

Great Saturday morning read, David.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Philip wrote: Anyone ever seen an actual Sola Sound MKII Professional with anything other than 0C75's?
I just realized - I haven't even seen a large board, Sola Sound branded MKII yet...

edit: I just tried to organize my gut shot collection chronologically and it appears as if the OC81D units (got pictures of one Vox and two Rotosounds) are among the very last MKII type circuits that Sola Sound produced (assuming the second version of the Marshall Supa Fuzz with the more rounded enclosure wasn't built by Sola Sound, as it is different from the earlier versions in so many ways - and assuming that Sola Sound produced the Vox, Rotosound and early Marshall units, of course, but these all seem to fit in perfectly). They have all tan coloured resistors (apart from one dark brown coloured resistor in Stu's Roto), whereas most earlier units had several reddish brown ones (looks like they stocked plenty for the MKI.V circuit and had used them up at that point). All of them have rather plain looking, silver and blue coloured electrolytics of the type that can be found in some later Sola/Colorsound pedals.
Everything is transitional.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Great read...thanks captian!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Yep, very good read indeed. Thanks Dave
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

Thanks Captain for taking time out of your busy schedule to enlighten us fuzz fans to transistor lore!

Cheers
:cheers: :captain:

J.K.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Electric Warrior wrote:
Philip wrote: Anyone ever seen an actual Sola Sound MKII Professional with anything other than 0C75's?
I just realized - I haven't even seen a large board, Sola Sound branded MKII yet...
Me neither. :zgrin:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Stu wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:
Me neither. :zgrin:
I've only seen the one. Even more confusing....the transnational MKII in the MKI.5 enclosure that's here right now has the injection moulded case and the large board. :bong2:
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

hey, speaking of which, would someone post a pic of the two types of cases?
I suspect that's already been done here, but just for the sake of illustration :ugeek: ...
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

The Captain wrote: I've only seen the one. Even more confusing....the transnational MKII in the MKI.5 enclosure that's here right now has the injection moulded case and the large board. :bong2:
How very confusing :cyclops: :hmm:
psycho*daisies wrote:hey, speaking of which, would someone post a pic of the two types of cases?
I suspect that's already been done here, but just for the sake of illustration :ugeek: ...
there's some great pictures in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=196
Everything is transitional.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

ah, so the earlier ones are "injection moulded case" and the later ones are not?
If so, what is the construction/designation called for them? ...Sand-cast?

I notice in looking at Graham's pics that the Mk1.5's ones (with the small board & red/black innards)
are a bit more beefy in construction (inside, at the screw wells, or on the outside, in general)...

Just curious if people have a method to spot the difference in construction --
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...