Unity volume on the Rooster?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

Zacharia Matilda

Unity volume on the Rooster?

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

Just wondering where you folks usually find unity volume on your Red Roosters. I have had the opportunity to play through a couple of The Captain's and Miss Linzi's examples of this fine beast. The one I just received from a fellow forum member seems to achieve unity at around 1 or 2 o'clock on the boost setting, and with boost fully ccw there is no signal passed through the pedal. I can't recall if the one I sold to Cody was like that or not, but I don't remember it passing no signal at all when the boost was at zero (or fully ccw). :hmm:

Sorry for the wordy, convoluted question. I guess I am wondering if my Rooster is ok, because for a majority of the travel of the boost knob the volume is less than unity.
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
Philip

Post by Philip »

Has someone been getting jiggy with the trim pot perhaps?
Zacharia Matilda

Re: Unity volume on the Rooster?

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

I hadn't considered that. I hope that isn't the case. :doh:

Who would presume to fuck with the work of the master?
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
Philip

Post by Philip »

Zacharia Matilda wrote:I hadn't considered that. I hope that isn't the case. :doh:

Who would presume to fuck with the work of the master?
I did it with mine in 2006, but I kept note of where it was set before doing so. :smashed:
daCod

Post by daCod »

Any benefit in messing with said trim pot?
That is, like Philip mentioned, making note where factory setting is.
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

My new B-13 Boost doesn't pass much signal when full CCW, and I haven't messed with it. You have to crank up the amp to hear it but its passing a little. An 1/8 of the way into the rotation and it's well on its way to peeling paint... Maybe just a quirk of germanium transistors below cutoff? I'm not technically minded enough to know and since I never run it that low it doesn't bother me at all.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Philip

Re:

Post by Philip »

daCod wrote:Any benefit in messing with said trim pot?
That is, like Philip mentioned, making note where factory setting is.
I did it out of curiosity. :squint:
Lee

Post by Lee »

I noticed that the Red Rooster I just got off TGP cuts the signal when turned fully ccw. I thought something was a miss but it is my first RR so I didn't know what to go off of. Leave it up to a TGP person to mess with what they shouldnt have :doh: . I have a OC72 Rooster
jerms

Post by jerms »

I just checked an unmessed with rooster and it lets a hair of the signal thru fully CCW.... I think it's normal for them to cut the signal nearly out.... If you think the trimmer has been messed with, and you have a volt meter to hand, you can check the volt reading for bias on the right hand lead of the .01 capacitor that's horizontal at the top of the board (The lead closest to the transistor), with the boost fully clockwise it should be 6.6 volts DC, IIRC..... Maybe the captain can weigh in on this to verify.......

Edit: just checked my assumed unmessed with rooster and got 6.65..... With a battery voltage of 9.41
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

Yep, my Starlight Red Rooster cuts the signal when fully ccw. It reaches unity with both controls set to about 11 o'clock, with most of the boost happening between about 1 - 5 o'clock. I had an OC723 RR09 and it had more gain and reached unity earlier iirc..

I remember reading on here that the voltage across the transistor should be 6.66v :headbanger:
Logic should not interfere with determination