placement of Red Rooster in pedal chain...?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

Richard Groff

Re: placement of Red Rooster in pedal chain...?

Post by Richard Groff »

CitizenAudio wrote:interesting idea! I guess I'll have to keep experimenting.
MMMMMM... "experimenting"...

or as I like to think of it... a great excuse to get out my toys and crank up a big amp!

:bong2:
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

Sickle wrote:Something important to think about when you consider placement with a vintage treble booster circuit is the realization that there were no time-based effects at that point. If you had anything, you had reverb and tremolo, that arrive after a tube's gain stage, as it should, so basically anything with an opamp/bbd style circuit would probably be best to come after it. The Rangemaster was designed to go last into the amp, but boosting/distorting things like delay and phaser or pedal reverbs just don't sound that hot.
Funny running something like we do. Back in the old days there were no other pedals! I find my Rooster best after fuzz and before OD and clean boost, but I put my time effects after OD and my Vibe first in the chain. I tend to use the Rooster most into a hot running small tweed amp (typically with noting else on), or at low volumes into an OD.

I sold off all my ODs and just went on a buying spree to find what works best with my setup. I will be sending a few back, but all the sound samples and forum recommendations dont mean much sometimes. Not many people thing to run a TB into an OD for cranked tones at bedroom practice volumes.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
TMock

Post by TMock »

Not many people thing to run a TB into an OD for cranked tones at bedroom practice volumes.
This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I think TBs really sound best into a sweating amp, but until my Aracom PRX150 Pro attenuator gets here, I can't turn my amp up much. I've found that the next best thing is to use the Rooster to smack a very amplike low-med OD pedal. Sounds pretty killer into any number of OD pedals, and the Rooster's flexible Range control lets me line the Rooster up perfectly with each OD's pedal's unique EQ.

I'm looking forward to the attenuator, though, so that I can get down to business with the Rooster straight into the amp. :crackjam:
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

The Rooster straight into an amp on the verge of breakup is the best application I have come up with.
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

TMock wrote:
Not many people thing to run a TB into an OD for cranked tones at bedroom practice volumes.
This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I think TBs really sound best into a sweating amp, but until my Aracom PRX150 Pro attenuator gets here, I can't turn my amp up much. I've found that the next best thing is to use the Rooster to smack a very amplike low-med OD pedal. Sounds pretty killer into any number of OD pedals, and the Rooster's flexible Range control lets me line the Rooster up perfectly with each OD's pedal's unique EQ.

I'm looking forward to the attenuator, though, so that I can get down to business with the Rooster straight into the amp. :crackjam:
Which OD pedals are you using? I am OD-less at the moment, but have an OCD v4, Lovepedal Les Luis, and a Greer Ghetto Stomp in the mail. I am looking for a big tweed twin sound and running a Rooster into it for late night practice. I cant seem to find what I am looking for yet, but hopefully there will be an answer in at least one of the three on the way!
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
duende

Post by duende »

Some really nice information to be had here. I too run my RR after my fuzzes and before my od's... That is of course when I use od's which is rarer and rarer these days, I just prefer the over-driven sound of my '66 volume knob "rolled down" over all the od's in my arsenal.

One thing thing though which is a bummer with the Rooster and perhaps Treble Boosters in general. Is that when I kick in my RR on top of my '66 with the volume rolled down for od tones... It makes my tone severely tinny, and not in a good way. So I can't really use it to boost my preferred od sound, it only really works for boosting my fuzz when my volume knob is only all the way up.

You guys having the same issue? And fuk if i am going to have another pedal just for straight clean boost.. I have a Klon for that, but I like keeping things real dumb and simple in my old age.
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

duende wrote:Some really nice information to be had here. I too run my RR after my fuzzes and before my od's... That is of course when I use od's which is rarer and rarer these days, I just prefer the over-driven sound of my '66 volume knob "rolled down" over all the od's in my arsenal.

One thing thing though which is a bummer with the Rooster and perhaps Treble Boosters in general. Is that when I kick in my RR on top of my '66 with the volume rolled down for od tones... It makes my tone severely tinny, and not in a good way. So I can't really use it to boost my preferred od sound, it only really works for boosting my fuzz when my volume knob is only all the way up.

You guys having the same issue? And fuk if i am going to have another pedal just for straight clean boost.. I have a Klon for that, but I like keeping things real dumb and simple in my old age.
Red Rooster and 1966 is a shitty combo IMO. I have both units and I have tried it and the same kind of tinny sound can be replicated as you say. The 66 don't need any more treble. Try using the range knob all the way clockwise and see if that helps the tinny ness.
tatter

Post by tatter »

I too never had much luck with the Rooster+1966 combo but since i've been using my Sonic Titan i've found that can be good running after the 66 to boost it if it's set fairly clean.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
TMock

Post by TMock »

thesjkexperience wrote:
TMock wrote:

Which OD pedals are you using? I am OD-less at the moment, but have an OCD v4, Lovepedal Les Luis, and a Greer Ghetto Stomp in the mail. I am looking for a big tweed twin sound and running a Rooster into it for late night practice. I cant seem to find what I am looking for yet, but hopefully there will be an answer in at least one of the three on the way!
I've been pairing the Rooster with a couple of different ODs as I try to whittle down my board. Lately, it's been either a KoTv4 or Catalinbread SFT. It sounds phenomenal with the SFT, with its low compression, thick midrange, and fuzzy Ampeg-like gain. The Rooster just kicks things up a notch or two, without anything getting too shrill or too compressed.

That's not really the sound you're looking for, though, if you're looking for a pushed tweed twin tone. For that, I think the twin setting on the Les Lius will work best. I think you'll like the Les Lius pedal in general. It's pretty nice. When you get it, try setting the twin setting so that you're getting just a bit of dirt with your guitar volume full up. Then run the Rooster into that with the boost at around noon and range somewhere around 10:00. That should give you some pretty aggressive tones with both on and your volume open, but also a lot of dynamic options with your volume knob rolled back. You can experiment with volume levels and the setting of the range knob on the Rooster in order to line it up with the Les Lius. That should be a decent place to start, though.
duende

Post by duende »

tatter wrote:I too never had much luck with the Rooster+1966 combo but since i've been using my Sonic Titan i've found that can be good running after the 66 to boost it if it's set fairly clean.
thanks guys... I actually like the RR '66 combo, just not for cleaned up fuzz tones. I'll give the sonic Titan idea a shot though!