Sonic Titan History

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

Jim Goad

Re: Sonic Titan History

Post by Jim Goad »

Nice one! It's great to see the history of the Titan.

I've got number 4. :tu:
It's like an orange on a toothpick
RC2

Post by RC2 »

"The guts have pretty much been the same all along. A trimmer was added to bias the JFET and some filtering was removed from No#17 onwards"

Does anyone know what the tone difference is on the ones built before some of the filtering was removed from #17 on wards, (brighter / darker)?
Last edited by RC2 on Sat May 16, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I just got my first Titan after the Ebay auctions and I have to say, I was blown away, again. :badteeth: Although it is a strong contender for top-spot, the MK II still holds that position, firmly I might add.

I love the drive of the Titan and it really goes well with my P90 equipped guitar. Between the Titan and the Meathead I have all my bases covered. I was sort of let down by the tone of the one knob Colorsound I just picked up after having a chance to run them all in a side-by-side.

I noticed a big volume drop with the Colorsound but it is germanium and from what I understand, that is to be somewhat expected. The Colorsound also doesn't clean up like the Meathead when you back off the guitar's volume, which is not a problem really, just a note.

The Titan is a real keeper for me.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

1bottlerocket wrote: I was sort of let down by the tone of the one knob Colorsound I just picked up after having a chance to run them all in a side-by-side.

I noticed a big volume drop with the Colorsound but it is germanium and from what I understand, that is to be somewhat expected. The Colorsound also doesn't clean up like the Meathead when you back off the guitar's volume, which is not a problem really, just a note.
:hmm: Really? That ain't right at all. Those things wail. The CS is silicon and should slap you up the side of the head with a 10 pound wet fish. It should be loud as fuck too....and clean up. Its busted, man :smashed:
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

Well, I just got through with my first major session with the Titan.. and my GOD!!! what a beast. I was playing my P-90 guitar as well and just couldn't put it down. I haven't even tried it with my others, I'm just still so blown away by what was coming out of my amp for the last 3 hours or so. and SO much range in it.. the tone and level knobs especially are so interactive. I couldn't believe the sounds coming out of my Fender. I don't think anything has hit it that hard before... and it was goooooooooood.

this thing may have just killed like 3 other pedals on my board that i thought were untouchable, but it can cover almost all of that range and more

still letting this sink in... wow. :headpop:
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

There's magic in those little boxes alright.
I was using it in a totally new way (for me) on tuesday while jamming with what may be a new band. I generally run it almost flat out but I tried it with a strat & backed the level right off then ran it into my trusty old Miles Platting amp with an old 4x12 marshall Bass cab & a 'Koch' 4x12. Everyone was suitably impressed. I'm learning to use it as more than a mere amp bludgeoning device cos the versatility is indeed impressive.

I got to play a Ricky 4001 through a big fuck off Ampeg rig too :badlove:
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yep, the number 10 colour looks identical to my number 4.
BJF

Post by BJF »

Hi,

I can say this
I had a Sonic Titan on loan and liked so much that I wanted to buy it but it wasn't for sale. :catfight:

Oh yes, a nice one at that

Have fun
BJ
Bobby DEE

Post by Bobby DEE »

cool......even Bjorn liked the Titan. he has good ears :cheers:

it's my favorite too from the D*A*M line......that GREEN one really looked cool too.
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

Quick question about using the Titan with a power supply. Can I run it at 18 volts?
It sounds good as it is at 9 volts, but it never hurts to ask, right?

:badteeth: