New vs Old

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

Jim Goad

New vs Old

Post by Jim Goad »

So I got a new ST-07 (like the one in the banner) to compare with Titan number 4 from 2005.

They're more different than I expected. The new boy is far more mid-voiced, has a bit of extra output & possibly a little more gain too. The old codger is smoother & more open sounding with fatter lows - generally more natural. As such, they're both in my setup right now with the new one being used for a lead tone boost & the old one for rhythm or both together for all out war. I'll do a comparison soundclip when I get chance.

Anyone compared the Blues / Bass voiced Titans from a year or two ago?
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Fuzzz

Re: New vs Old

Post by Fuzzz »

That's interesting. I have found a similar thing with my new white ink Drag N Fly versus my '09 Fly.. The new one has more upper mids and is more aggressive sounding and a bit more gain maybe.

I definitely love them both as they are both awesome in their own way. :party:

I haven't tried the new ST07 but have an '09 Titan which has way more low end than my old '07 Grey Hammerite Titan, which I figure was a 'blues' voiced one.. ( I sold it when the Sonic Titan Dark came out as I found it a bit too bright sounding and figured the Dark was what I needed! )

I have been curious about the ST07 myself, so will look forward to your clips! :oldgrin:
Logic should not interfere with determination
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Now you've got me wondering if i need one of the new Fly's to compare with my 2010 model!

I'll get some clips together soon now I have my new Mac & am getting over the bastard of a flu bug I've had for a week.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Scott

Re: New vs Old

Post by Scott »

Fuzzz wrote:That's interesting. I have found a similar thing with my new white ink Drag N Fly versus my '09 Fly.. The new one has more upper mids and is more aggressive sounding and a bit more gain maybe.

I definitely love them both as they are both awesome in their own way. :party:

I haven't tried the new ST07 but have an '09 Titan which has way more low end than my old '07 Grey Hammerite Titan, which I figure was a 'blues' voiced one.. ( I sold it when the Sonic Titan Dark came out as I found it a bit too bright sounding and figured the Dark was what I needed! )

I have been curious about the ST07 myself, so will look forward to your clips! :oldgrin:
That's exactly right when comparing the old and new flys. I had an old one and I have a new one and I personally like the new one better. More 'fly' to love, so to speak. Dave is getting better, if that all all possible. :drool2: :crackjam:
Fuzzz

Re:

Post by Fuzzz »

Jim Goad wrote:Now you've got me wondering if i need one of the new Fly's to compare with my 2010 model!

I'll get some clips together soon now I have my new Mac & am getting over the bastard of a flu bug I've had for a week.
I definitely recommend it! I now appear to gave a Drag N Fly addiction! :smashed: :hihi:

Scott wrote:That's exactly right when comparing the old and new flys. I had an old one and I have a new one and I personally like the new one better. More 'fly' to love, so to speak. Dave is getting better, if that all all possible. :drool2: :crackjam:
Totally agree! :cheers: I was curious when I heard Dave was using new production transistors, as to whether they would still have 'mojo'. It would appear that they do. Very much so! :party:
Logic should not interfere with determination
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

I have an 07 Titan, and a while back Dave tuned it for more lows. It came back with pretty much the same gain, but as expected with a fuller low end. The difference wasn't huge, but definitely noticeable.
Volume over talent
Sanitarium

Post by Sanitarium »

...so the new one is more mid-voiced?...I'm curious...where to get an a/b comparison?...
agoldoor

Post by agoldoor »

I know that at some point there was a change of the volume pot from 100k to 10k or visa versa, and this can definitely effect the brightness.
Sanitarium

Post by Sanitarium »

...so by changing the pot you can effect the brightness...
agoldoor

Post by agoldoor »

Yep, absolutely.