2007 Sonic Titan - too bright/ice picky

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

Markoni

2007 Sonic Titan - too bright/ice picky

Post by Markoni »

Hi guys,

I have a white 2007 Sonic Titan that has been on my board since the day I picked it up second hand around 6 months ago. I really like its open uncompressed nature and use it with the drive more or less backed off, tone a touch above noon, level tends to be around 2 o'clock.
I am beginning to notice how bright/shrill/ice picky (?) it is though. It has been commented on before at practice but I usually just dial back the tone and level and up the drive but then I lose the openness that I like best about it.

I've just been messing around with other pedals in front and behind but I cant soften the edge that I think it has. I would hate to have to sacrifice it for something else...no room for an EQ either.

How about a Sonic Titan dark?...is that an obvious alternative?

Amp is Dr Z Remedy with humbuckers and P90 equipped geetarr's

:cheers:
Lee

Re: 2007 Sonic Titan - too bright/ice picky

Post by Lee »

Do you have a lot of presence turned up on your amp? Try making micro adjustments on your amp first if that doesn't work Try backing off the Tone and Drive on the titan just a little and adjust your tone on your guitar. See if this help a bit.
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

Try the tone knob on your guitar. I found it hard to find the right balance using the pedal and amp tone controls.
The dark is not as open sounding, if that's what appeals to you.
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

Hey Mark - you should try the drag n fly with the level up high and the attack low - the filter should give everything from treble boost to fat ass doom! :headbanger:

I sold my 2007 Titan as I found it too bright for my amp at the time too.. I now have an '09 Titan which is voiced darker and I much prefer it! I think the 2007s were 'blues' voiced before they were called that..

I seem to remember the Dark Titans have a bit less gain and slower attack too..

Definitely try different settings on the amp as Leecifer says, small adjustments can make a big difference..
Logic should not interfere with determination
Markoni

Post by Markoni »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies...back from practice and still got the same nagging issues. Rolling off some of the guitars volume or tone loses that openness that impresses me so much about it.
Making adjustments on the amp didn't really help either although I was doing it on the fly so a bit more time and patience may well be the answer.

Hey Paula!...you know I never thought to try the DnF. It's on the board as my one fuzz box, I'll have a monkey around with it tomorrow. Interesting that you felt similarly about your 2007 ST. Do you think the Dark Titans lose the openness asTigerdriver mentions?
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Obvious statement, but it's probably a combination of the P90's, the amp and the general nature of the older Titan. Some of the older Titans have a lower value level pot which adds a lot more presence and control to the pedal, great if you're running buckers with a 100watt head and a 4x12, not so great with single coils and smaller amps.

Happy to mod the pedal for you so it's more P-90 friendly. Shoot me a line if you are keen...
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Also moved to the Sonic Titan section :party:
Markoni

Post by Markoni »

The Captain wrote:great if you're running buckers with a 100watt head and a 4x12, not so great with single coils and smaller amps.

Happy to mod the pedal for you so it's more P-90 friendly. Shoot me a line if you are keen...
Yeah I'm strictly a pub gig player :headbanger:

Thanks for the offer, I have PM'd you

:cheers: