King of the road

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

duende

King of the road

Post by duende »

After so many years the Sonic Titan is still my main OD. Had a few short vacations here and there, but it always makes its way back home.

No other OD allows me the depth of expression and pick sensitivity... And keeps such wide range of volume dynamics.

Mine is some early serial number. Mustard yellow. Used and abused. Trashed quite frankly from years of being stepped on.

After listening to some rehearsal recordings both with it, and without it... It's back on my board again.
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yup. I feel the same about my old Titan. Early serial, blue, battered & bruised. Nothing else matches it's combo of clarity & grunt. It's only been left out of my setup once or twice since 2005.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
duende

Re: King of the road

Post by duende »

Hey Jim,

What's your set-up and rig you are using these days?

Curious to learn new tricks! ;)
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Live setup has been pretty solid for a while now: Gibson SG Special - Colorsound Wah Fuzz Swell - Morley ECV - Colorsound 18V Powerboost - Sonic Titan - Orange OR120.

The order is a bit goofy with the delay going before drive but it works for me. Powerboost is mainly to bring up the volume of the Wah Fuzz Swell to match the Sonic Titan's output. I use the Titan almost like amp distortion, so it's always last in the chain.

Wah Fuzz Swell is currently being repaired, so I'm using an unbranded Colorsound bass tuned Wah & a Ghost Buzzaround to cover fuzz-wah duties & re-discovered how much I love that crusty old wah.
daCod

Post by daCod »

FWIW if you have some type of Rangemaster (i.e. red rooster) kick yer Titan in the teeth with it. tis muy bueno, or so i hear :whistle:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Post by jerms »

let's see a pic of her! :picsorstfu:
duende

Re:

Post by duende »

daCod wrote:FWIW if you have some type of Rangemaster (i.e. red rooster) kick yer Titan in the teeth with it. tis muy bueno, or so i hear :whistle:
I go back and forth between goosing it with a red rooster, and boosting it with a klon afterwards. Depends on the amp and band I'm working with. Both are a thing of magic to be honest.
duende

Re:

Post by duende »

Jim Goad wrote:Live setup has been pretty solid for a while now: Gibson SG Special - Colorsound Wah Fuzz Swell - Morley ECV - Colorsound 18V Powerboost - Sonic Titan - Orange OR120.

The order is a bit goofy with the delay going before drive but it works for me. Powerboost is mainly to bring up the volume of the Wah Fuzz Swell to match the Sonic Titan's output. I use the Titan almost like amp distortion, so it's always last in the chain.

Wah Fuzz Swell is currently being repaired, so I'm using an unbranded Colorsound bass tuned Wah & a Ghost Buzzaround to cover fuzz-wah duties & re-discovered how much I love that crusty old wah.
Never tried a ECV. Hope to someday. I'm using a colorsound wah myself too. For boost, I primarily use a klon. I switch out fuzzes all the time. Lately it's been my fuzz wrong and mkII
Jim Goad

Re: Re:

Post by Jim Goad »

daCod wrote:FWIW if you have some type of Rangemaster (i.e. red rooster) kick yer Titan in the teeth with it. tis muy bueno, or so i hear :whistle:
Ghost Aston CC covers those duties nicely (although I couldn't find it last week!).

duende wrote: Never tried a ECV. Hope to someday. I'm using a colorsound wah myself too. For boost, I primarily use a klon. I switch out fuzzes all the time. Lately it's been my fuzz wrong and mkII
Most people dislike the ECV cos it's weird. Exactly the reason why I do like it. :oldgrin:
digdown2001

Post by digdown2001 »

Oh yeah, I received mine from a fellow forum member here, MAN, I've been missing out! I have the silver hammerite one, ST-07, it's hands down the best OD I've ever had the fortune to play. Not too sure how everyone else is using theirs, but I run mine with an Effectrode Tube Vibe (set with speed knob on zero and level on 5/unity) before it, and a Klon Centaur after it (set to just clean boost and using the tone knob to clean up the Effectrode tubes), and can then set the Sonic Titan however I choose. The heavens opened up!!! Easily my favourite dirt pedal, by such a long shot it's just not funny. David was not wrong in stating this pedal is LOUD. But it's so much more than just loud, the tones and headroom in it are just insane, it 'chugs' like no other pedal I've owned, and after some 25 years of playing, I've had my fair share of overdrives. This one is hands down the best, nothing even gets close to what this little box can do. It's just not right, the box is too small, what weird sort of magic is this??? Kudos to the :captain: You deserve an award for this pedal. I knew it would be good before I got it, my D*A*M/Sola Sound MKII happens to be my alltime favourite fuzz, I don't think I'll ever get over how good the ST-07 is.......now to complete things with a Red Rooster......

Steve
Nice Marmot.....