sonic titan & hiwatt??

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

Hiwatt Bob

Re: sonic titan & hiwatt??

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

got sonic titan #10 from Sickle. i'm still getting used to it. it's got stiff competition too, i've been using my cornish ss-2 as my main OD pedal for a while now--tried a bunch of OD's (in hopes of finding a cheaper/better one) and nothing's been able to dethrone the ss-2. and i've got to say, for mild overdrive purposes--how i'm using the cornish--the titan is cool, but doesn't surpass it.

but the titan really is the first OD other than the cornish that i wanted to make room on my board for (the hotcake was close). similar to the hotcake--while it does do mild overdrive good, it really seems to shine at higher gain settings. in this regard, it's fucking awesome. very natural sounding--i know, poor description. it stacks differently than the cornish (which seems to beef up while still remaining clear whatever you feed into it)--the Titan just gets nasty as fuck if you feed a fuzz into. actually--it reminds me of a tweed deluxe (neil young). alone it sounds very tweed-y, feed a fuzz into it and it sounds like shit is going to 'splode.

so long story short--it's a definite keeper. i'm using my cornish as my mild overdrive and using the titan for bigger OD soundz.

what i love about it though is how deep of a pedal it is. i've had it for about a week now but have barely scratched the surface of all the different toanz in there. love how interactive the controls are.

it sounds great with my hiwatts--but honestly, i think it sounds the best with my silverface deluxe reverb. just sounds perfect with that amp.

tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

I would love to try an early Titan like that one, they sound a bit different I guess?

Just got an email from V&R offering me a pink(!) Titan, and for a second I considered getting it so I could run it into the one I already have, but that seemed kind of decadent so I passed.
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

tigerdriver wrote:I would love to try an early Titan like that one, they sound a bit different I guess?

Just got an email from V&R offering me a pink(!) Titan, and for a second I considered getting it so I could run it into the one I already have, but that seemed kind of decadent so I passed.
Yeah, I've considered stacking Titans too. I bet it would work really well for some high gain OD. Plus, I'd like to compare a new one with my oldie.

Gongrats on snagging number 10 Hiwatt Bob!
It's like an orange on a toothpick
skybone

Post by skybone »

Doesn't work unfortunately. You're much better off using either a Titan & a Rooster or a Fuzz.
Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

anyone know if there is supposedly a difference between early and late ones? if so, what's the cutoff number?
Hiwatt Bob

Re:

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

Sickle wrote:
Number ten sounds very much like my 2008 build. Not much need to change it up, that shit pwnz0r, boy..

:party:

pwnz0r indeed. :headbanger:
diagobd2

Post by diagobd2 »

so long story short--it's a definite keeper. i'm using my cornish as my mild overdrive and using the titan for bigger OD soundz.

Post by duende »

I find the Titan to be unsurpassed for pick responsiveness when my amp is turned up. Can be so transparent it's scary. Just need the amp cooking a bit. Loves single coils and "bright" amps too btw.

Which Cornish model you using?