sonic titan & hiwatt??

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

Hiwatt Bob

sonic titan & hiwatt??

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

as my name implies, i love hiwatts. i like the idea of the sonic titan, but i've been reading things about it being a "bright" pedal or not being best suited for "bright" amps. ia also use single coils almost exclusively.

i really don't want something that's overly bright, looking for something with really decent low end. just to give you an idea, i'm on the list for a meathead dark (love the standarad meathead, thanks sickle), but the 1966 didn't have near enough low end for me. obviously this is an OD not a fuzz, but you get the idea.
Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

Idd, don't be afraid to cut the highs with the filter...
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

I tried a titan on electric swan's 74 custom100... and it owned, he fell in love with it so much that he bought it as well! ;)
fear not, the titan is one of the best! Tons of volume as well...
Live Slow... Die old...
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

The controls on the Titan are very interactive. As I decrease the filter I tend to increase the volume and gain quite a bit.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
tigerdriver

Re: sonic titan & hiwatt??

Post by tigerdriver »

The tone control is sort of like a bright switch at higher settings, as you roll it off it gets more neutral sounding. I would guess that most people keep it between 7:00 and noon, but like Sickle said I do like to have more treble than I need since it's easy to dial back.
skybone

Post by skybone »

To quote from the Sonic Titan page on the main website:
"Tone" this control is a Hi-cut tone control. Its main use is to help tune your instrument to the Titan's drive capabilities so at first may seem a crude way of shaping tone. Start off with the Tone maxed out to the full right and slowly reduce to the control as need be to round of the tone for a smoother overdrive tone.
Maxing the tone control is where I would recommend anyone to start, (it's where the Captain recommended I start when I got my first Titan), then dial the tone back to taste.
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

Hey Ryan! Nice to see you around these parts!!

I just pulled out my Sonic Titan a few days ago. I forgot how great it sounded. I agree fully about there being enough adjustment to make it work with a clean amp. My pix only Orange OR80 is REALLY clean and has a VERY full treble response... and I can still dial the Titan back enough to make it full and not piercing.. ie no "Fender" highs unless you want them. When it comes to my dirtier master volume Orange/ Matamp, I run the Titan with the "tone" fully left, but I use it's volume to dial in the treble I need. My amps start to brighten up when you start to really whack the preamps. It is a crude way of working, but I have been doing it so long that it's second nature. But anyway, there is more than enough adjustment range on the titan to make it fit a lot of situations. Happy hunting!!
Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

i love sharin foo wrote:Hey Ryan! Nice to see you around these parts!!

I just pulled out my Sonic Titan a few days ago. I forgot how great it sounded. I agree fully about there being enough adjustment to make it work with a clean amp. My pix only Orange OR80 is REALLY clean and has a VERY full treble response... and I can still dial the Titan back enough to make it full and not piercing.. ie no "Fender" highs unless you want them. When it comes to my dirtier master volume Orange/ Matamp, I run the Titan with the "tone" fully left, but I use it's volume to dial in the treble I need. My amps start to brighten up when you start to really whack the preamps. It is a crude way of working, but I have been doing it so long that it's second nature. But anyway, there is more than enough adjustment range on the titan to make it fit a lot of situations. Happy hunting!!

hey justin--
well thanks to your (and everyone else's) help, i'm now officially gassing for this pedal as well. i'm guessing i'll probably find one of these before a meathead dark?
Bobby DEE

Re:

Post by Bobby DEE »

Sickle wrote:People that say the Titan is 'bright' need only run the Filter knob and knock out the high end to taste. Its better to have the highs there and be able to remove em than to not have any at all.

:party:

Welcome to the forum, man!
i NEVER found the Titan to be overly bright AT ALL.

the tone control is VERY powerful, and can really brighten it up a LOT from 3 pm - 6 pm on the dial....

it has one of the most powerful and useful tone controls i have ever heard on a high gain distortion.

Titan is my fave DAM pedal, believe it or not. i admire the rare MkII and other fuzzes....

but for GIGGING? give the TITAN!

it brings the RAWK :headbanger:
Hiwatt Bob

Post by Hiwatt Bob »

well gents, that didn't take long.

sonic titan acquired. :dance:

hopefully xmas will distract me and dull the edge of having to wait for it to arrive. :freakout: