Sonic Titan - Perspective: Overdrive/Tubescreamer

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

CitizenAudio

Sonic Titan - Perspective: Overdrive/Tubescreamer

Post by CitizenAudio »

So, I was hoping that ST veterans would talk to me about your thoughts about the characteristics of this pedal as a low-medium gain/overdrive type of pedal.

what type of amps do you play, what kind of feel does the pedal give? Can you cop some responsive vintage tones or does it strictly have a modern type of clipping/distortion?

Thanks!
tigerdriver

Re: Sonic Titan - Perspective: Overdrive/Tubescreamer

Post by tigerdriver »

Using it through a BF Deluxe-type amp with the output at a reasonable level (I think unity gain is around 8:00 on mine), it's surprisingly mellow if you keep the tone dialed back...the drive goes from slight breakup to Neil Young-ish. Not really modern sounding at all IMO, even at its most 'metal' settings...maybe a D+ crossed with a Rat? It's better than whatever I could compare it to though.
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

I am excited as I have an ST coming in and just noticed the Captain's description of it being similar to an 808. I was going to pick up a Keeley TS808 or something but if the Sonic Titan can do me some light/boost and add color to the guitar's tone then that would be a nice surprise.
cubba

Post by cubba »

It has a LOT more gain than an 808.
It may sound a wee bit like it, but it really is it's own beast.
It does have a pretty wide gain range, so you could use it as a low gainer.
I use mine with the gain at 11:00, never really more than that.
I don't play Metal and find this setting pretty ideal for a nice dry crunch tone.
It's actaully a great lead gtr pedal.
Hope ya' like it.

:popcorn:

What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

It kinda fills the same role as a Tubescreamer without actually sounding like one (if that makes sense). I think Sickle summed it up pretty well by comparing it to ACDC's sound. The distortion has a Valve amp like quality & doesn't sound either modern or vintage. It just is.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

That is promising Jim. I am excited. I might be picking up a vintage TS anyways to just have that sound in the arsenal.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

IMO, the titan sounds nothing like a tubescreamer...in fact, its almost an opposite type of sound. The tubescreamer is very compressed, warm, buttery and rather low gain. Titan is crunchy, bright, high gain type of thing. Put both of those pedals on your board and ya got shit covered on your overdrives!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Jazzandmetal?

Re:

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

redeyeflight wrote:IMO, the titan sounds nothing like a tubescreamer...in fact, its almost an opposite type of sound. The tubescreamer is very compressed, warm, buttery and rather low gain. Titan is crunchy, bright, high gain type of thing. Put both of those pedals on your board and ya got shit covered on your overdrives!
I agree with this 100% Plus the Titan can do low gain well and is WAY more responsive to your guitars volume knob and your picking dynamics.

2 different animals.
Lavely

Post by Lavely »

Thanks for the comparisons!