What do you use your titan for and what's your guitar/amp?

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

gae86

What do you use your titan for and what's your guitar/amp?

Post by gae86 »

Hi guys! I've always been interested in the titan, reading the infos and hearing/watching some demos. BTW I never really understood if it is more a dist or an od, low-medium gain or hi-gain?
How do you use it? do you stack it with other pedals?
Thx
skybone

Post by skybone »

It's a really versatile lil pedal is the Titan, it can go from nice low/medium-ish gain type tones, right through to skull crushingly heavy, "everything on 11" type high gain. It also depends on how you have your amp set too. If you're using a clean amp tone setup, and need dirt, then you can't find a sweeter sounding pedal IMO. If you have your amp set to have a dirty tone (pre and power amp), it'll not only smooth that drive out, but it'll also smooth the tone out as well (again IMO).

Is it an OD or a Distortion? Good question... and I will try to elaborate a coherant answer...

The Sonic Titan succeeds where many other, well known and more widely available pedals/brands fail, in reproducing that really sweet "power amp" distortion tone. Those other pedals are absolutely fantastic at nailing that harsher "pre-amp high gain" tone, that is in such demand (though goodness knows why!). Where the Sonic Titan succeeds, is that it reproduces the much smoother power amp drive that you have heard on many classic albums from the days of yore, when the guitarists in question were allowed to turn their amps up all the way, and then controlled the amp from their guitar's volume pot, and more importantly, the sound engineers knew how to capture that sound, without wanting to control it and EQ it to death.

If you want to hear it do heavy, into an already distrorted amp (both pre and power amp drive), then listen to the songs on the myspace page in my signature, or Jim Goad's.

How does it stack with other pedals? Which other pedals are you wanting to use? Basically use the "rule of thumb" of OD/Dist/Fuzz before anything else, with only a tuner before it. However, the best way to discover how a pedal works with your other pedals is to experiment, and find a sound that works for you.
gae86

Post by gae86 »

Thanks for your answer!
Just to make it clearer let's say that my amp is a DRRI usually clean, max on the edge of breakup depending on the volume I can use, and all my dirt comes from my pedal!
I don't like neither use lot of gain, so my question is would it be useful to give my amp that great that I can't obtain without pushing the tubes?
worldcatalyst

Post by worldcatalyst »

I think he's asking if the Titan can give off the sound of his amp when its cranked up, without all the hassle of an eviction notice.

Which I don't know if it will do that exactly. But it should sound like a nice British stack or some sort of equivalent.
Last edited by worldcatalyst on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

The Titan is many things to many people, but always a variation of awesome.
gae86

Re:

Post by gae86 »

worldcatalyst wrote:I think he's asking if the Titan can give sound off the his amp when its cranked up, without all the hassle of an eviction notice.

Which I don't know if it will do that exactly. But it should sound like a nice British stack or some sort of equivalent.
Yeah that's what I meant!
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

gae.. the titan needs to be played loud, and has tons of volume on tap! Titan volume At 10 oclock equals the tim at 2 oclock! :O
Live Slow... Die old...
skybone

Re:

Post by skybone »

gae86 wrote:Thanks for your answer!
Just to make it clearer let's say that my amp is a DRRI usually clean, max on the edge of breakup depending on the volume I can use, and all my dirt comes from my pedal!
I don't like neither use lot of gain, so my question is would it be useful to give my amp that great that I can't obtain without pushing the tubes?
worldcatalyst wrote:I think he's asking if the Titan can give off the sound of his amp when its cranked up, without all the hassle of an eviction notice.
Basically, yes it will. Full on or not, it's the smoothest sounding OD/Dist pedal out there BAR NONE (IMO o'course! :tu: ).
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

A Titan into an amp on the edge of breakup works extremely well. I use one with a Peavey 6505 set to be slightly dirty & occasionally a Marshall JCM2000 superlead on the clean channel. IMO a Sonic Titan is better then the 6505 or superlead's built-in distortion.

A titan into a super clean amp will give an obscene volume boost too. Nearly knocked me off my feet the first time I used it.
It's like an orange on a toothpick