Rangemaster Appreciation Post

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Rangemaster Appreciation Post

Post by Doc Holliday »

Bummer! Thought I read that in his bio.

The rangemaster / clapton association gets thinner by the day.
Although with a rangemaster down at 10 o clock and my old vox set to breakup I was getting tones not to far apart from this.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Had a blast on the Beano earlier today!
The playing is not my best and the quality is poor but it has a great range!

waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

^ Sounds great Doc! :listening:

Yip, rangemasters are the mutt's nuts for sure. Must admit that it is the old cliché of slipping one into a simmering valve amp that floats my boat the most. Iommi/Gallagher/May sounds are all quite easily obtainable, but was really hoping for something that would get me close to this sort of thing -

Now I don't know for sure if those guys used a rangemaster but my Pigdog Rangie gets me closer than anything else I've tried. Really close. Totally adrenalizes/amphetaminises not only the sound of the guitar but also the feel. Hovering ominous feedback, massive kerrraaanngggg and sweet piercing upper fret noodles, oh yes... :freakout:
I personally wouldn't be one to have it on all the time as was originally intended - the cleanup is spectacular with the black glass OC44 in the snortywoofwoof but for me it's all about having the most comprehensive toolkit (I really love straight in guitar to amp sounds) so a good quality on/off switch (the Rangedriver has one) is pretty important.

Rangemaster appreciated :tu:
Stu

Post by Stu »

waveclipper wrote:^ Sounds great Doc! :listening:

Yip, rangemasters are the mutt's nuts for sure. Must admit that it is the old cliché of slipping one into a simmering valve amp that floats my boat the most. Iommi/Gallagher/May sounds are all quite easily obtainable, but was really hoping for something that would get me close to this sort of thing -

From the man himself - says he used a Vox Super Beatle direct into the console. :hmm:
http://www.humvee.net/src/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

^ Cool! Thanks for that. Wow!

" Well,Thanx again for your Interest-1st S R C LP-1955 Les Paul Custom,Humbucking pickups installed by Gibson in Kalamazoo MI.1962-US Super Beatle Amp-Solid State-I used the built-in MRB setting #2 [MRB = Mid Range Boost] . On "Exile" & Beck's Bolero,I used the amp's built -in Fuzz- All recorded direct from the amp into the recording consloe."

At least there was some sort of boost involved there! :oops:
It sounds like no direct to console sound I ever heard but... I guess the shopping list just got a bit longer! :hihi:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Nice, yeah I would have thought that was a rangemaster too! Stu holds all the answers :oldgrin:
peps1

Post by peps1 »

devnulljp wrote: The JMI is actually pretty good
The older ones with the black glass OC44 and OC44.5 transistors were not bad at all.....but they seem to have switched to a unbranded, unmarked tin can transistor that is not as good (had two in for retrofitting this month with these transistors....assume its a stop gap part till they got more Philips/Mullard?)

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Thanks for the slightly off-topic foray into the wonderful world of the SRC. Love their first record and the Gary Quackenbush sound. Nice to hear from the man himself. But straight into the console? Man…
arem

Post by arem »

I have a friend building Rangemaster for me and him and I said I'd find the trannies for them. Any recommendations where I can source a good ones for a medium crunchy pedal?
Average fucks given per hour = 0
Philip

Post by Philip »

HorseyBoy wrote:^ Thanks for the slightly off-topic foray into the wonderful world of the SRC. Love their first record and the Gary Quackenbush sound. Nice to hear from the man himself. But straight into the console? Man…
The results are not so unexpected if you think of it as the amp acting as a solid state fuzzy preamp in to what was perhaps a valve mixing console.