The Link Wray thread

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Re: The Link Wray thread

Post by HorseyBoy »

To celebrate the resurrection of this thread, here's Link with "I'm So Glad, I'm So Proud" from 1973's "Beans and Fatback", ripping shit up in a way that middle-class boys like Mick and Keef could only dream of when they made "Exile on Main":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvFApOpqNU
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

Great thread!

Link Wray one of coolest and indipendent artist :crackjam:
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Laservampire wrote:From what my I've researched, Rumble was recorded on a Les Paul goldtop, and all of his other classic early sides are either his Supro Dual Tone or his Danelectro Guitarlin.

He had a big ass Premier amp which had multiple speakers, and he poked holes in one of the little tweeters.
One of the greatest recorded guitar sounds imo yet the whole ripping/poking holes in/sticking thumb tacks in etc the speaker cone is a strange one - it just seems to decrease efficiency more than anything else (maybe the guitarists could then turn up the amp more to get tube overdrive without pissing off the engineer?) I can see why fuzzboxes were so popular in the mid sixties when blackface style amps were the thing but it takes quite some effort to get a clean sound out of an old tweed deluxe - they're rather aggressive screamers without much encouragement, as were the Bassmans and Champs et al of the day. Tweed Fenders were very popular so surely the guitarists of the time would be well aware of how to get large amounts of overdrive if they wanted it? Old Vox amps were filthy little bastards, the Selmer practice amps have insane amounts of distortion at very sensible, easily recordable (even with ribbons) levels, the earliest Watkins amplifiers have lovely easily overdriven sounds... Seems to me it was easier to get serious howling overdrive with the gear around at the time that folks were apparently slashing cones :hmm:

Anyways, Link interview -

Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

waveclipper wrote:One of the greatest recorded guitar sounds imo yet the whole ripping/poking holes in/sticking thumb tacks in etc the speaker cone is a strange one - it just seems to decrease efficiency more than anything else (maybe the guitarists could then turn up the amp more to get tube overdrive without pissing off the engineer?) I can see why fuzzboxes were so popular in the mid sixties when blackface style amps were the thing but it takes quite some effort to get a clean sound out of an old tweed deluxe - they're rather aggressive screamers without much encouragement, as were the Bassmans and Champs et al of the day. Tweed Fenders were very popular so surely the guitarists of the time would be well aware of how to get large amounts of overdrive if they wanted it? Old Vox amps were filthy little bastards, the Selmer practice amps have insane amounts of distortion at very sensible, easily recordable (even with ribbons) levels, the earliest Watkins amplifiers have lovely easily overdriven sounds... Seems to me it was easier to get serious howling overdrive with the gear around at the time that folks were apparently slashing cones :hmm:
Yeah I don't get it. I've heard a couple of videos of the old "Elpico" green amps that Dave Davies used and theres plenty of distortion already without slashing the speaker!
Ben
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Resurrected for the vinyl re-release packaging!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02jXTxMnaq4
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Finally picked this up a few months back. Personally, i love his 50's-mid 60's stuff, so this is right up my alley!
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
drdanny

Post by drdanny »

There's not much 50s footage of Link but this is pretty cool!
drdanny

Post by drdanny »

I'm no fan of Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin but he got a tick from me when I saw his pleasure in this clip
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Link and the Wraymen backing Bunker Hill, who makes Little Richard sound like Pat Boone.
Ben
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

Love Link Wray!! Got to meet and hang out a little bit with him back in the late 90's. Almost got to guitar tech for him. His playing is magical!!!
I heard, as pointed out, that Rumble was recorded with a Les Paul and I heard mention that it was a Magnatone amp...? The two together definitely puts you in that tone territory.
I was more interested in finding out how he got that sound on "Im Branded" for the solo, which he said was a whammy bar with vibrato. Maybe on a Magnatone...?