The Shrew

Rocking horse shit and chicken lips.

Moderator: The Captain

skybone

The Shrew

Post by skybone »

Unfortuntely, I don't have this any longer, I bought it off David Slomatic, and flogged it on eBay to someone in Bradford. A few weeks later, it appeared on TGP (or some other similar forum) for a significant markup. Lost track of it after that.

It was a bass-y, nasty, aggro sounding mofo, all dressed up in a wee, green box.

I think it was #2 of 3, but I can't be too sure.

Anyone got one? Anyone else experienced one?
skybone

Re: The Shrew

Post by skybone »

Hey, you do what you think is right at the time... :smashed: :marx:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Yeah I thinks there was two Shrews. The original one had a folded aluminium enclosure that got the shit kicked out of it at many a gig. That was made in 2002. That Shrew was then rehoused in 2004, that was the one I sold for my buddy last year.

I think the one you had Muzz was this one? This was the first Shrew proper.

The was also at least one of these. It was the same circuit but labelled as bass Meathead

i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

The Captain wrote: The was also at least one of these. It was the same circuit but labelled as bass Meathead

Goddamn!!

THat looks great!

I LOVE those knobs too. SO much so that I bought a bunch of copies from Hong Kong one day. They look great on Big Muffs too. Man, that bass Meathead (and the Shrews) looks killer. Was the circuit different from the bass heavy Meatheads?
skybone

Post by skybone »

The Captain wrote:Yeah I thinks there was two Shrews. The original one had a folded aluminium enclosure that got the shit kicked out of it at many a gig. That was made in 2002. That Shrew was then rehoused in 2004, that was the one I sold for my buddy last year.

I think the one you had Muzz was this one? This was the first Shrew proper.

The one I had definitely had the round, shiny top knob on it, and was reasonably beaten up, though I can't remember if it had and an LED or not. One would hate to be contradictory, but to hell with it... I'm pretty sure it said either 2 or 3 of 3, and when I spoke to you about it, you did say there were only the 3 in existence.
the watcher

Post by the watcher »

The Shrew that David sold for his buddy last year now belongs to me. It's the one pictured #001.

I mainly use it as a bass fuzz, but on guitar it's a real heavyweight monster.

I'll be using it in the recording studio sometime in July, so you'll hopefully get to hear what it sounds like.

Muzz, I bet you're kicking yourself mate :doh:
the watcher

Post by the watcher »

i love sharin foo wrote:Was the circuit different from the bass heavy Meatheads?
Yeah, op-amp based I think. I thought I'd saved Dave's write up of it, but I seem to have lost it.

I don't have a Meathead dark yet, but it sounds a hell of a lot different to a standard Meathead. I'm going to use the old Big Muff on steroids quote. :fu:

skybone

Post by skybone »

the watcher wrote:Muzz, I bet you're kicking yourself mate :doh:
Yes and no. I think I picked up my first Titan around the same time as getting the Shrew, and for me, and the sound I was after, the Titan nailed it, where the Shrew was just pure, green insanity. With the benfit of hindsight, I do kind of wish I'd kept hold of it, cos I bet it'd sound fucking amazing with my 4003! :twisted:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Is the Meathead a direct descendant of the Shrew?
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

1bottlerocket wrote:Is the Meathead a direct descendant of the Shrew?
Narp. The Shrew is basically an op-amp Muff Fuzz. They happened at the same time, the Meathead won the battle.