Concerning a TB MkI.5

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

Bert Ohlsson

Concerning a TB MkI.5

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

Hej colleagues!

I've got a Sola Sound Tone Bender MkI.5 from 1966 that is somewhat too rough for my taste. I want something a little bit smoother... But what would be the most convenient way for me to sell this old box? Are there any negative sides with eBay?

Bert / Stockholm
Last edited by Bert Ohlsson on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bert Ohlsson

Re: Concerning a TB MkI.5

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

Hej igen!

Concerning eBay, I read about this guy selling a box of some sort who didn't get paid when the highest bidder backed out...
Even though I've cheated with Guitar Rig 2, the smoothest distortion I ever heard (I'm not that experienced, though) was with my grandfather's old wire recorder! It was an Agaphone where you just plugged in on one side and out on the other. One day, however, it suddenly pasted away... I think my grandmother still has it in her basement. I'll look and then dissect it and take pictures of its inner organs, tubes and whatever... I found this picture on the web:

Hälsningar / Bert
Last edited by Bert Ohlsson on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
chetz

Post by chetz »

Bert Ohlsson wrote:Hej colleagues!

I've got a Sola Sound Tone Bender MkI.5 from 1966 that is somewhat too rough for my taste. I want something a little bit smoother... But what would be the most convenient way for me to sell this old box? Are there any negative sides with eBay?

Bert / Stockholm
I have had people back out on a sale. Other than that the fees are pretty steep. How much do you want for that old TB? I may be interested and we can all save some time and money.

I also have other fuzzes to trade than may be more to your liking.
Thanks,
Jeff
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

Hej Jeff!

When people back out of a sale, doesn't that also mean problems with continuing the sale etc..?

Yes, the question about the price, is the main issue. I've already got some three interested americans and a couple of englishmen, but there has been no price mentioned, so far. My uncle bought the box in the centre of Cambridge 1966 and he belives he paid 19 pounds then. From what I now know I will not sell below 15 000 swedish crowns, though, with the aim of reaching 20 000...

If you also would happen to get your hands on a real 50:s Agaphone babe, a trade would be great!

Hälsningar / Bert
Last edited by Bert Ohlsson on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
chetz

Post by chetz »

Is the "crown" the same as a Kronor?

thanks my friend,

Jeff
Bert Ohlsson wrote:Hej Jeff!

When people back out of a sale, doesn't that also mean problems how to continue the sale etc..?

Yes, the question about the price, is the main issue. I've already got some three interested americans and a couple of englishmen, but there has been no price mentioned, so far. My uncle bought the box in the centre of Cambridge 1966 and he belives he paid 19 pounds then. From what I now know I will not sell below 15 000 swedish crowns, though, with the aim of reaching 20 000...

If you also would happen to get your hands on a real 50:s Agaphone babe, a trade would be great!

Hälsningar / Bert
Philip

Post by Philip »

I say avoid ebay and don't be in too much of a hurry to sell it until you've made more people aware that it's available. :tu:
Scott

Post by Scott »

Philip is right. ....... now secretly sell it to me!!!! :)
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

it looks like 20,000 Swedish Kronors is around $2,500 or £1,700. I agree with what Philip wrote. (avoid ebay, and wait until you're sure that everyone knows about this one before you strike a deal).

You'll find your uncle's £19 investment to have been a wise one!

:smashed:

Good luck!

PS: Not sure if Agaphone's used tube/valve technology, but it's likely and if so your ideal sound may be something like "tube overdrive"...If that's the case, you might want to look into something like the Real Tube (tube driven) pedals (they came out in the 1990's?)...Can find them inexpensively on ebay or elsewhere...

Also, check into the Harmonic Percolator..."even-order harmonics" only...smooth fuzz.
======================================================================
"AGAPHONE WIRE RECORDER, 1950's

Wire recorders were invented in Denmark by Valdimar Poulson for an answering machine in 1898 called a Telegraphone, but were not developed for any other practical purpose at the time. Ten years later a company in America made a successful dictation machine. They were quickly made obsolete by magnetic tape machines.

Although this machine carries the trade name Agaphone, this unit was certainly made by another company."
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Bert Ohlsson wrote:Hej Jeff!

When people back out of a sale, doesn't that also mean problems how to continue the sale etc..?

Hälsningar / Bert

An alternative to eBay would be to hold an auction here on this forum. We do that.
No fees (right?) or are there? Anyway, Donovan, our moderator can help you out with that if you're interested.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
hongsta

Post by hongsta »

Or, you can skip all that and just sell it to me :badlove:

It is pretty well known around here that selling cool fuzz pedals to me has some unexplainable effects. Mainly, you'll become a better lover, your children will respect you more, you'll play better guitar and most importantly, you'll gain a super power that you've never had before. I know it is strange but true. :hihi:

(Of course I'm just trying to pry this MK1.5 from you and am looking for unfair advantage against fellow fuzz nuts... Shhhh don't tell anyone.)
GREAT transactions with Sickle, Skinpimp, Robapov , Sage, SBlue, imlikeajungle, fatherjack, get_with_it, Aviv and the Captain. Over 100 transactions on TGP (Hongsta) + eBay hongsta (558) 100%.