Bias on the Super Bee

Germanium fuzz tones for old school heavy minds.

Moderator: The Captain

modeerf

Post by modeerf »

I would have to strongly disagree with the "vox and bee don't mix statments" I've found it to be one of my favorite combinations. The trick is to dime everything on the bee into the vox slightly pushed. Becomes a new beast, a wretched one at that but transforms into a spitty little nightmare. Perhaps not what you were looking for but it is an unruly, all out mother fucker. Sounds like a maestro fz-1a and a superfuzz had a spoiled little illegitimate devil child. Quite impressive!
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Re:

Post by anemochore »

modeerf wrote:I would have to strongly disagree with the "vox and bee don't mix statments" I've found it to be one of my favorite combinations. The trick is to dime everything on the bee into the vox slightly pushed. Becomes a new beast, a wretched one at that but transforms into a spitty little nightmare. Perhaps not what you were looking for but it is an unruly, all out mother fucker. Sounds like a maestro fz-1a and a superfuzz had a spoiled little illegitimate devil child. Quite impressive!

Yes, you are sure right here. I found I like it in the Top boost It's all Good Thanks!
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
6strung

Re: Bias on the Super Bee

Post by 6strung »

anemochore wrote:So now I have a Super Bee and it has much more bottom end than my D*A*M Sola Sound. The Bee works well with my Marshall MKII and sounds great when placed after my Morley Wah. But when used with my Vox AC30 it has too much (I like to use the normal channel, which has no EQ, for my other pedals and the Top Boost for overdriving the amp). Can I roll off some bass by adjusting the bias? I would never do this without consulting someone with more experience.
I condition the sound going into my sb with an overdrive, or have the amp a little dirty. I prefer the overdrive conditioning going into the sb, then into a clean amp (Dr. Z maz 18) with the preamp low, and the master volume high.

The results is perfect, cleans up when I roll-off the guitar volume, sustains and gives a nice "stangy" fuzz. I set the od so it runs at the same volume as the clean amp, and push the sb volume a bit higher.
With Enough Courage You can do Without a Good Reputation.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

6strung wrote:
anemochore wrote:So now I have a Super Bee and it has much more bottom end than my D*A*M Sola Sound. The Bee works well with my Marshall MKII and sounds great when placed after my Morley Wah. But when used with my Vox AC30 it has too much (I like to use the normal channel, which has no EQ, for my other pedals and the Top Boost for overdriving the amp). Can I roll off some bass by adjusting the bias? I would never do this without consulting someone with more experience.
I condition the sound going into my sb with an overdrive, or have the amp a little dirty. I prefer the overdrive conditioning going into the sb, then into a clean amp (Dr. Z maz 18) with the preamp low, and the master volume high.

The results is perfect, cleans up when I roll-off the guitar volume, sustains and gives a nice "stangy" fuzz. I set the od so it runs at the same volume as the clean amp, and push the sb volume a bit higher.
That does work vary well. Also found using a bit of clean boost before the SB or a bit of treble boost will push the upper mids and or roll off a bit of the bass.
Same goes for Superbee mode in the 1966 (the 2010 run has a lot of bottom). Makes me want to get a Red Rooster or Mini Driver
Last edited by anemochore on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
SSgt93

Post by SSgt93 »

I'm really looking forward to receiving my NKT version.
SSgt93 on Twitter & Instagram.
-Steve
6strung

Post by 6strung »

Try this. Flat out roll the bass down on that amp. A second thing I've learned is to have your amp dirty. If you are using an OD pedal have the OD before the Bee. If your just going into the amp, let the amp be a little dirty, you almost can't have it to dirty.

You'll have to fine tune it, but don't waste much time trying to keep the amp clean and then getting a nice fuzz tone. My main amp is a Dr Z maz 18 which is based on a Vox circuit. Also use a newer AC15. :crackjam:
6strung

Post by 6strung »

anemochore wrote:
6strung wrote:

That does work vary well. Also found using a bit of clean boost before the SB or a bit of treble boost will push the upper mids and or roll off a bit of the bass.
Same goes for Superbee mode in the 1966 (the 2010 run has a lot of bottom). Makes me want to get a Red Rooster or Mini Driver
Exactly! That is my approach and it produces sweet fuzz, endless sustain, and others asking how I get that tone. :headbanger: