ALL THE BEES IN THE HIVE - BEE HISTORY

Germanium fuzz tones for old school heavy minds.

Moderator: The Captain

norhyme

ALL THE BEES IN THE HIVE - BEE HISTORY

Post by norhyme »

I couldn't find a proper overview of all the Bees out there. They are not in the Pedal Registry or in the D*A*M Pedal Describtion topics. So - maybe some Bee experts could share their knowledge and build a nice list which contains the different versions (colour - trannies)

cheers
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

I would like to hear that story, too...
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

I guess there isn't much variants, The Captain used different transistors though.

First SB was yellow with OC75/OC76 and it was more like 1.5 than 1966:
http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3499

First batch of Bees was yellow with two OC76s - some of them were sold by Hoochies.

Then there were green, blue, black and orange with Sickle's graphics. Can't say much more about choice of transistors. I only remember that some green and blue ones had 2xOC71s, orange - OC41/OC78, black - OC71/OC76.

After that we have a current production.
schultzvil

Re: ALL THE BEES IN THE HIVE - BEE HISTORY

Post by schultzvil »

Can't be the full historian, though I believe the very first were the yellow Bees, and member SCOTT is an expert on those; but I will say I have an orange one, which is I believe the "second" version/ batch and then I have also one of the latest "SB 66" in grey- and those two are actually here with me close to Stuttgart! So I see one guy from Germany and one from Poland interested in Bee history- interesting! Anyhow, I'll look for some pics/ transistor details. All that info is out there in these forums in various places though, but you have to search a bit.
In my opinion, the Super Bee is one of the very best D*A*Ms overall.
Alex

yeah I now see jetofug's post- that's pretty right-on though I can't speak to those green, blue and black ones...
I am pretty sure the orange came right after the yellow. Mine was from OCT '09 and has a low number, I'll have to check..
good deals with pigeontoe, wheelman, devnulljp, mjab-1, evergud
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

The "new"'style ones in blue/grey began with #90-something I believe.
norhyme

Post by norhyme »

Thanks to jetofuj and schultzvil :cheers: That's great info. Somebody knows what this bee with OC84 is all about?

The pics are from an older ebay aution:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0503166531

:hmm:
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
Taller76

Post by Taller76 »

What I know first hand.....
No 52 (Feb 5 2010) is lime green (Not Psycho Lime) 1290 enclosure, 2xOC71, small (3mm) black LED bezel, yellow LED.
Dont recall what number my SB-66 was but they are either grey or light (what I would call Petty) blue new style enclosure, 2xCV5416 (MIL SPEC OC84), clear 5mm lens, blue LED. There are lots of other little things that evolved (grounding method, pots, switch wiring etc.) but I haven't really paid attention to when they started evolving.
Thanks for the American dream,
To vulgarize and to falsify until the bare lies shine through.
kb892

Re: ALL THE BEES IN THE HIVE - BEE HISTORY

Post by kb892 »

no.001
Attachments
beeface.jpg
beeface.jpg (576.72 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
beeback.jpg
beeback.jpg (706.83 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
beeguts.jpg
beeguts.jpg (588.52 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
norhyme

Post by norhyme »

Wow - :headbanger: #1
That is beautiful!!
Come on - who's got no 2 ??????????????????
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Sickle has/had no. 2.