How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola MKII)

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

John Lyons

Re: How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola M

Post by John Lyons »

Dan
A lot of cameras have a limiter that limits the level in order to
capture load and soft sounds. So while your are playing (loud sound) the
camera mic is limiting/compressing the audio. Then when you stop the
camera mic lets up on the compression and soft sounds become easier to hear.
It's limiting the dynamic range...
The good thing is that when you are playing the level is fine and when you are talking the level
is fine. BUT the background noise is brought up when you are talking.
How do you fix it? SHOUT! :hihi:
It's going to be hard to fix post production. This is why folks either wear a lapel or use a close
mic for speaking and a mic in the room or on the cab for guitar. This way both are heard clearly.
Short of turning or being able to turn off the limiter.
One way you can get around it is to narrate post production. But then you still have the level
issue between playing and "silence". :hmm:
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

I ought to just get a real video camera. I've been dragging my feet for a while to do it.

BTW: I checked the digital camera that I used and there are no real "sound" options.
Either way, I'm proud of the content (i.e. the methodology) which I think I explained rather well (as long as people aren't too distracted by the background noise).
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
John Lyons

Post by John Lyons »

Either way, I'm proud of the content (i.e. the methodology) which I think
I explained rather well (as long as people aren't too distracted by the background noise).

Yes, of course. I enjoyed it.
kelvinator60

Post by kelvinator60 »

I tend to be an A player which would explain why the MKII and Fuzz Face circuits have not worked for me in the past. I generally use fuzz in a garage rock or Ventures style context so I lean towards a brighter fuzz like a Fuzzrite, MK1, Vox TB, MKIV type of thing which I find work well for option A. The Vox or 1966 can kind of do it all as it is bright enough for stomp and go and it will clean up when backing the volume down.

Good demos sir!!
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Cool stuffs!

I'd still advice people not to leave pedals on top of the amp, especially if they're packing germanium. Those little buggers are sensitive to temperature changes and heat can bring the worst out of them, especially on a MKII. Instead of open goodness you get icky strangulation.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Philip

Post by Philip »

Weak pickups changes things.
imguitardan

Re:

Post by imguitardan »

Philip wrote:Weak pickups changes things.
To what are you referring Philip?
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Philip

Post by Philip »

With weak pickups there are less, make that virtually no issues using a MKII, a D*A*M atleast, with a band, the stomp and go approach works a treat. :cool:
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Respectfully Philip, I've never known that to be the case but I'm sure a big part of fuzz is what amp it's going in to. :wink2:

I had a friend who tried to "stomp and go" with an AC125 D*A*M MKII (with an early 70's Tele into an 18 watt Marshall) and it didn't cut it for him. However, if his "base" tone was with the gtr vol. down a hair, there'd have been less compression and more cut (i.e. Option B).

I do agree that pickups with less output will also compress less (certainly less than my P-90 guitars) but I still think they do compress at full tilt with fuzz. I do have a 50s Tele and a Strat do I'm familiar with the differences (I just prefer P-90s).

I will say also that your clips sound great and not super compressed with the fuzz on. I always wondered if you recorded with the gtr vol on full or back just a bit. Since you haven't said, I assumed they were full bore. If that's the case and they don't compress, I'm going to go and bury all my Strat and Tele pups into the body so they can react similarly (though I don't have them very high currently).

Philip

Re:

Post by Philip »

imguitardan wrote:Respectfully Philip, I've never known that to be the case
This doesn't surprise me. :smashed:
Last edited by Philip on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.