The MARSHALL 200 w/Holy Roller...Now On Youtube

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

cubba

Re: The MARSHALL 200 w/Holy Roller...Now On Youtube

Post by cubba »

Holy Roller Batman, that's some great tone.
Love it, so friggin' phat! :doh:
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Philip

Post by Philip »

Yer a brave man buying a vintage amp from Music Ground!
Laundromat

Re:

Post by Laundromat »

Philip wrote:Yer a brave man buying a vintage amp from Music Ground!
:oldlol:
Condolences, the bums lost!
cubba

Re:

Post by cubba »

Philip wrote:Yer a brave man buying a vintage amp from Music Ground!
Well it does have changed transformers.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Cool clip!
JQuick

Post by JQuick »

Glad everyone is enjoying this...

The audio seems to have been sorted out. Initially there were some, uh......hang-ups legally.

Recording it was a little tricky as the sheer brute force of this amp caused my hard disk recorder to f*** up everytime I did a take. It made the webcam do the same thing, so I settled for a slideshow...

Brave man? No, just very young and stupid with a new copy of a book called 'The History Of Marshall' by Michael Doyle. I owe him a big 'thank you' for clearing up part of the mystery vis a vis Ronson...

I wrote to Music Ground and a month later got a phone call informing me they had one!!!

RE: Transformers

Partridge transformers came stock in this amp, these are not replacements. Doyle's book makes reference to this. Apparently Marshall got a batch for free and used them in this early attempt at a 200w amp.
Philip

Post by Philip »

JQuick wrote:
RE: Transformers

Partridge transformers came stock in this amp, these are not replacements. Doyle's book makes reference to this. Apparently Marshall got a batch for free and used them in this early attempt at a 200w amp.
The part/batch numbers suggest they are not from 1966 - 1967, but from early 70's. So if they are original perhaps it was made then or the company you bought it from changed them!?
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

good stuff! :tu:

:badlove:
Attachments
holyroller.png
holyroller.png (428.23 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Philip

Post by Philip »

Rarer than teh 1965! :badlove:
JQuick

Post by JQuick »

Well.....I don't want to engage in the sort of 'internet expert'-style debate here. There are enough of that particular breed over on the Plexi Palace forum. All one has to do is search 'Partridge transformer date codes' on Google to find ample discussion that those date codes, like most other amp dating minutia, do not necessarily play out.

When you boil it right down, those type of comments serve only to cast aspersions on & ultimately illegitimize such an endeavor as I have undertaken here. I can assure you this amp is every bit legitimate. Just listen to it. The recording doesn't even do it justice. And it's useful for other things, not just silly old glam rock songs (!).

Keep in mind, this amp was delivered with damage. The entire chassis had to be stripped and reshaped. Two of the multi section caps blew when it was powered up, hence the small, black 'tech caps'. The two vero boards for the bias and rectifier sections may have been done by the repair guy I took it to, I don't really remember. I wasn't technically minded back then, so didn't take note. They don't look to be original. I remember him suggesting various 'improvements' he offered to make, to which I thankfully declined.

If the transformers have been replaced I don't really care. It doesn't matter. It sounds glorious.....and I will never let it go.

Thanks all for listening.

JQ
Last edited by JQuick on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.