Piece of shit machine.

I am Jack's smirking revenge...

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

Piece of shit machine.

Post by The Captain »

Anyone remember when I said I was gonna make a replica of this piece of shit?

Well the day has come, well kinda. Long story short. Back in the day, around 2005, we used to sell our stuff to Scott at Axe…andyoushallreceive. We talked about doing a Shatterbox replica as an exclusive dealio for Axe. Thing is I didn’t own one at the time and hadn’t even seen one in the flesh. Word on the street was that the Shatterbox was the Zonk Machine circuit with a JHS Treble Booster added for extra face melting abilities. I had a Zonk Machine at the time but wasn’t keen on doing the do’s until I’d actually seen a Shatterbox in the flesh. The project was shelved, time moved on.

Fast forward to December 2007. That day came. I acquired a really fine example of the Shatterbox along with the wife, my Vox MKII, in trade for my Sola Sounds MKI. Oh yes, I did. The Vox MKII looked like a dog chew but sounded and still does sound like heaven. Bestest fuzz box evar. The Shatterbox looked as cool as fuck. I still think it’s an awesome looking device. The sounds on the other hand were not so cool. Lifeless fuzz tones, ear bleeding treble boost, fuck all volume boost, no true bypass, pointless controls, and so on. Having the Vox MKII as a trade companion didn’t help. That sounded so good it just made the Shittybox sound even worse.

The Shatterbox uses the Zonk Machine II circuit, it’s a two tranny silicon get up, nothing to do with the original Zonk. As is, it’s really dull and oscillates like a crazy when you get close to a fuzz tone you’d want to hear. Fun for an over dubs where you want your guitar to sound broken. Pointless for anything else.

Any ways, the point being. I sacked the ‘replica’ idea altogether once I heard one. I’ve heard others since. They too sound like broken glass clattering around in jar full of syrup. In other words, I don’t care for the Shatterbox in its original form.
Not to be beaten by a design from Satan own anus I studied the thing any huw. The biasing is crooked to the max. Makes no sense to me at all. In fact, not much makes sense in the mind of the Shatterbox.

Its now 2010 and I have a vent for my tweaked Shatterbox idea. Enter Rogue Sound, and Hatchet Harry and Blind Mary.

The Captain

Re: Piece of shit machine.

Post by The Captain »

Oh yeah, there be these also...

There will only be 2 each of these little bastards made evar.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Downstroke-Music

edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

damn, the black is nice.
good luck to the auctionees.
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

The beginning of that story reminded me of how back in '98 or so, Scott (pre-Axe...) gave me a photo of his Zonk Machine to use on my website that I made as a school project. Well, he had also given that same photo to T*nefrenzy and the dude that ran it went BALLISTIC on me in the most ridiculous email ever, wish I still had it.
kb892

Post by kb892 »

The Captain wrote:Anyone remember when I said I was gonna make a replica of this piece of shit?
yes, i remember get on the list at Axe way back when! :gripe: it's ok though, Jon's shipping out the part i really wanted tomorrow(blind mary)! :party: thanks for getting back to this Dave, cool idea.
capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

these look great! :tu:
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

The original Shittybox stinks!

I seem to remember Dave doing a mod to mine and.......it don't stink no more, man. In fact, its a god like anti-stink!
So, if this Hatchet fucker is anything like the magic that Dave shafted mine with. This will be a gem :badteeth:

Well done D*A*M folk :tu:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Pieces in shit :party:

Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

That are some pretty slick looking boxes!!! :crackjam:

But I'm breaking my head about the Blind Mary font, I'm sure i've seen it before (or a very similar one) on album artwork or some video clip...
The Captain

Re:

Post by The Captain »

Sickle wrote:That better not be my pair, dude..

:hihi:
Oh yes it is, adding flavours....no, they be mine. :badteeth: