D*A*M Sola Sound Interceptor

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

mjkk

D*A*M Sola Sound Interceptor

Post by mjkk »

Imagine its 1982. You have a beautiful ’74 Ford Cortina – you’ve had it since new – a minter . You’re going on holiday and of course you don’t want to leave it parked in the street. So you take it round to your Uncle Jake’s house – he has a garage, Uncle Jake.

It’s a bit risky, because Uncle Jake is a little bit crazy and you know he love’s tinkering with motor cars, but just the same you leave your very cool, mint , bright Orange Cortina with him . . . . . . . . . .

When you return, your Cortina MKIV is unrecognisable, the engine . . . .Jake has taken every part and supercharged it – everything is changed or modified – it’s a hot rod – it’s a mutant – its something evil . And where is the beautiful orange paintwork ? Jake was listening to Black Sabbath – Master of Reality while he worked away – the orange is now hidden under Black and any accessories are purple . . .and silver . . . .Jake . . . .you scream . . .what have you done . . Uncle Jake !!!!

But Jake is dead . . . . . . . . no hang on that’s too sinister . . . .but Jake is asleep and can’t hear you , he’s crashed out in a chair – paint compressor still dangling in his hand .

So , what can you do – you get in your beloved car and turn the key . The sound of the engine fills your ears – its twice as loud as it used to be – the pedals work differently – the car moves like a rocket – but not just a rocket – a really nasty rocket ! You decide to call it . . The Interceptor !

Right , so you get the idea ?

Meet ‘The Interceptor ‘ Sola Sound MKIV 2021 , a nightmare of a pedal from the mind of David Main .

This is black sprayed over orange MKIV – can you imagine how cool this thing is going to look with a bit of road wear !!!

Inside , it has evolved from a MKIV but everything is sooped up – replacing the Darlington pair of front end germanium transistors is a high gain silicon BC179 . Our classic Mullard OC82Ds do the rest – that’s a pair in there looking like two green lagged water tanks – one of them is acting as a diode . The volume control reaches regular MKIV volumes at about 8 then goes berserk , the tone control isn’t really a tone control – no huge sweep like a normal MKIV – this is a non attenuated filter , borrowed from the really early Marhall Supa Fuzz MK1 . Everything about this pedal is a little crazy – like it was born in ’74 but hot rodded by a futuristic maniac in the 80s.
Attachments
78ECC967-AA6C-45C3-8369-72982A9FC993.jpeg
78ECC967-AA6C-45C3-8369-72982A9FC993.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1554 times
826F3396-91C8-490F-B5B2-5CEA0E312318.jpeg
826F3396-91C8-490F-B5B2-5CEA0E312318.jpeg (377.97 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Last edited by mjkk on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
daCod

Re: D*A*M Sola Sound Interceptor

Post by daCod »

My gawd I want one so bad but damn they spendy!

:badlove:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

I had to buy one, thinking it sounded like the black on black fuzz sounds from years ago
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

I don’t need another MkIV! I don’t need another MkIV!
I don’t need another MkIV! I don’t need another MkIV!
:headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop:
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

BTW, well done Ant for the one pedal per person limit! Perhaps that will weed out any potential douches trying to double their money on Reverb! :fu:
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

Not that this doesn't look completely awesome, but I would also like to see them play around more with the "Batman" logo theme with different colors and circuit variations/etc. I know they have done it a couple times with the Brazilian Batman and Joker etc, and the "Spaghetti" logo is cool and all, but I've always preferred the looks and 60s vibe of the Batman logo case. I've even asked Ant if he would ever bring back the MK3 case for a Tone Bender build, since they used it for some Power Boosts here and there. A MK3 Tone Bender case with Vox-ish aesthetics (hammerite black and orange) would be an instant buy for me! Even though of course looks aren't everything, it's the circuit that really matters, and the way they're describing the Interceptor circuit...well, you had me at Master of Reality. :slayer3:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

This was too D*A*M cool to pass up - ordered!!
Phototropicalia

Post by Phototropicalia »

Received mine yesterday. Superb pedal, although that'll probably be obvious! It's a lot smoother than any Tone Bender I've played and definitely a lot louder than any traditional circuit too. Beautiful addition and variation to the Sola family. I would say though, it's tricky to get to the battery with two layers of paint on, haha.
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

Any chance of a quick demo from one of the lucky owners of the first batch?
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

I’ll try to get a shitty recording up here