D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV (SOTGB)

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV (SOTGB)

Post by The Captain »

Thee coolest looking MKIV thus far!?!? ...yeah, yeah, yeah I said that when we did the yellow ones....and then again when we did the orange ones. Cool new project 5.6!! The Son of the Green Bastard. It had to be called that really didn't it? British Racing green paint with the mighty OC82D green jackets in the belly. High class attitude but with skeletons in the closest.

Please note: It has the appearance of the opening scenes of the Empire Strikes Back outside today so indoor seedy looking pictures it is. Just pretend like it's 1973 and all will be okay.

SS_MKIV_SOTGB_15.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_15.JPG (342.67 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
The first MKIV's of 2018 and a slightly different approach. Carbon composition resistors and polypropylene capacitors replace the metal film resistors and the polyester capacitors of previous incarnations giving the SOTGB a slightly more vintagey appearance that goes hand-in-hand with the circuit set-up. The electrolytic capacitors are high temperature types, that I selected cos they look black and spooky....how's that for technical information!
Tuned a with the STC transistor set-up in mind that one would find in a vintage MKIV so expect a slightly choppy attack with more punched out note emphasis. Still plenty articulate but leaning towards archaic snarl rather than a hairy growl. As with all previous D*A*M built MKIV's gain levels are strong with the ample output levels, as in, boosted from it's vintage origins but subtlety so. It's a vintage reissue after all. There is a touch more attention on the treble side of the tone control, only a touch, just a little more of a sear to ear. The bass side is as you would expect, brawny and plenty stout for even bass instrument use, from a vintage point of view.

There are 50 pieces in the project in total with all units being assembled by Daniel Lee Tunstill. All set-up procedures, transistor selection, final testing and inspection are carried out by myself.

SS_MKIV_SOTGB_10.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_10.JPG (275.2 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_21.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_21.JPG (314.03 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_23.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_23.JPG (456.07 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_28.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_28.JPG (366.62 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Brass tacks

I want! What do? Same dealio as always here with these products. You'll need to contact Macari's if you are interested in acquiring and/or wish to find out pricing and shipping information.

Do so here:

http://www.macaris.co.uk/

Sound Demonstration

Not as yet I'm afraid...you'll have to use your imagination for now...

More dimly light photographic images...

SS_MKIV_SOTGB_13.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_13.JPG (444.9 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_18.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_18.JPG (374.57 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_12.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_12.JPG (298.04 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_24.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_24.JPG (365.86 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_27.JPG
SS_MKIV_SOTGB_27.JPG (250.86 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Pahathuasyndicate

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV (SOTGB)

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

Class and Elegance in the looks. No doubt a savage in the sonics. Beautiful work out the D*A*M headquarters, as per usual :badlove:
freddy_von

Post by freddy_von »

:mrgreen:
Looks amazing!
MrB

Post by MrB »

time to GREEN out ..... nice one Captain & Ant/Steve
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

Wowee, sharp & mind blown :headpop:
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

green is good!
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

Does anyone know what year those transistors were made ?
And the colour........ is that the same British Racing green that would be painted on a Jaguar ?
Forgive my questions, I’m Australian;)
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

Hulk would like to SMASH that
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

:freakout: :freakout: :freakout: :freakout: So - sorry to let the cat out of the bag early but i needed to make a splash at the guitar show on the weekend . Yes jaguar inspired green and gold !
The guys who painted the mk1 cases do lots of work for McLaren and other racing teams so it got me thinking classic british cars .
Im going to price the first 20 or so 10 per cent cheaper for forum members and will not post them on the macaris website or anywhere else for a week or two so feel free to mail me and reserve one .

Full retail is 429 plus shipping

BUT

In the EU will be 399 + 12 shipping ( inc taxes)

Usa / canada / australia etc 332 + 22 shipping

As always - massive huge thank yous to danny and dave for tjis crazy amazingly good mkiv - to Electric Warrior yet again for his artwork cleanup skills with alan murrays original work - the unsung heros at the painters and screeners - the guys who make the rubber feet - my mother - the dustbin man - and anyone else who knows me .

Seriously - this is bloody great !

Ant
thevibe

Post by thevibe »

Ant:
The Vibe. Jaime Munoz from Chicago is interested please send me the details for purchase
Thanks