"Fat Copper" MK1.5

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

hamoftruth

"Fat Copper" MK1.5

Post by hamoftruth »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWGd0I3sYYm/

Anybody snag one? "Tip of the cap to the earliest 1.5's...the fattest/biggest sounding 1.5 we've experienced" says Ant.

Doesn't the lore go that the Fuzz Face was based on a very early 1.5 with part value variations that made it sound bassier/fuller? Is that the idea, I wonder?

Also wonder if there was any reason they went with Copperhead vs Goldie.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: "Fat Copper" MK1.5

Post by Nick »

As far as the lore is concerned, this looks like a kind of 'theoretical' version of the MK1.5 circuit that hasn't yet been discovered (unless Dave has been keeping something secret).

The metal can transistors and the 560 ohm (or is it 570?) resistor refer to a funky/early example of a vintage MK1.5 with Impex transistors, from Joe's collection. So far, Joe's unit is still a unique original MK1.5 (although we're aware of one other example with a very similar selection of parts).
The description about this reissue being 'fat' presumably refers to the 470K ohm volume pot that Dave used, which harks back to a different version (albeit still early!) of the original MK1.5 -- the earliest known with OC75 transistors -- which was built with 500k volume pots (which is also the version of the MK1.5 that Arbiter most likely copied in 1966). I'm not yet aware of an original Impex-transistor MK1.5 that came with the 500k volume pot, but it's definitely possible that pedals like it do exist and have yet to resurface.

Now, does Electric Warrior have any corrections to this interpretation? :fu:
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

I was literally in the dentists chair when I saw these. Still made the attempt to no avail.

I'm guessing the OC83 sound was deemed to be closer to the more snarly oc75s normally used in the copper, than the smoother oc84 that has become more common in the goldie (with exceptions).
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I thought the Goldies all came with OC75 now?
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
sovtekfuzz

Post by sovtekfuzz »

Had it in the cart but i would have had to part with like 3 things that I originally deemed "permanent" collection additions, so I chickened out. Happy to see more in stock stuff like that dropping, as ive heard from more than one person that the mythical wait lists aren't really a thing anymore
IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Totally missed the boat on this one. That's the only one I am missing from the Sola MK II builds. I am going to have to be a bit keener if these pop up again.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

sovtekfuzz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 pm Had it in the cart but i would have had to part with like 3 things that I originally deemed "permanent" collection additions, so I chickened out. Happy to see more in stock stuff like that dropping, as ive heard from more than one person that the mythical wait lists aren't really a thing anymore
The waitlist works for some of the non MK1.5/MK2 Sola/Colorsound pedals such as Power Boosts/Overdrivers from my experience. The fervor for those is not quite as intense. I suspect that the Tone Bender waitlists have become so prohibitively long that the social media drops model which has been adopted by most modern boutique pedal builders is the direction it's moving more into.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Jazzmann

Post by Jazzmann »

Tried putting an order in 8 minutes after it was posted on social medias. Out of stock :headpop:
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I did manage to snag one by some insane luck. My MK1.5 experience is in my Jerms MK1.5/MK2 switchable, Analogman Sun Bender 1.5, and my D*A*M/Sola "Matilda" Tone Bender 1.5 full germanium. I have always suspected the "Matilda" daughter series was also based on the early 1.5 design variants that Nick expertly outlined above because it is significantly thicker in the lows than either of my other 1.5s, much more akin to a Ge Fuzz Face. I'll report back with how the Fat Copper compares.
All You Need Is Fuzz

mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Nice snag!
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."