Trojan Horse MKII Goldie

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

hamoftruth

Re: Trojan Horse MKII Goldie

Post by hamoftruth »

ombudsman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:48 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:54 pm I personally don't think I'd enjoy a Green Bastard, beautiful as they are, since the OC84 is already bordering on "too polite" for my tastes. My personal tastes align the absolute most with the Goldie MK1.5 though, I love how loose and flabby its character is while still retaining the traditional Tone Bender leanness in the lows.
Would that be a Goldie with OC84s ?
OC75 version actually- so same as the Brick Bender
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

hamoftruth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:54 pm First impressions - it's a MK2 with some saggy MK1.5 flavor. It's not as composed and focused as my OC84 Pro MK2, and not as wild and loose as my Goldie MK1.5, somewhere in between.

The Blue Meanie by comparison is the brightest and clearest, while still being more aggressive and choppy than the OC84.

It's not a drastic difference, but it's what I imagined a Dave Main OC75 Pro MK2 would sound like, though to be clear this one has OC83/OC81Z. Ant was right in describing it as "fat, choppy, and musical." It's not like a "Fat Copper" or "The Judge" by any means, in that it doesn't have any added low end compared to a traditional Tone Bender voicing.

I like it! It's a toss up between the Blue Meanie and Trojan Horse for my favorite MK2s I've played, most likely. I personally don't think I'd enjoy a Green Bastard, beautiful as they are, since the OC84 is already bordering on "too polite" for my tastes. My personal tastes align the absolute most with the Goldie MK1.5 though, I love how loose and flabby its character is while still retaining the traditional Tone Bender leanness in the lows.
The green bastard is as polite as people think, it’s great for solo lines, but it’s all mkll baby. Its really not as smoothed over as people think
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

And congratulations on the Trojan!! Killer pedal, but yeah the special ones are getting crazy pricey
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

hamoftruth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:02 pm

OC75 version actually- so same as the Brick Bender

ah, I haven't heard OC75s in that circuit. I'll probably get some version of that eventually.
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

mjkk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:57 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:54 pm First impressions - it's a MK2 with some saggy MK1.5 flavor. It's not as composed and focused as my OC84 Pro MK2, and not as wild and loose as my Goldie MK1.5, somewhere in between.

The Blue Meanie by comparison is the brightest and clearest, while still being more aggressive and choppy than the OC84.

It's not a drastic difference, but it's what I imagined a Dave Main OC75 Pro MK2 would sound like, though to be clear this one has OC83/OC81Z. Ant was right in describing it as "fat, choppy, and musical." It's not like a "Fat Copper" or "The Judge" by any means, in that it doesn't have any added low end compared to a traditional Tone Bender voicing.

I like it! It's a toss up between the Blue Meanie and Trojan Horse for my favorite MK2s I've played, most likely. I personally don't think I'd enjoy a Green Bastard, beautiful as they are, since the OC84 is already bordering on "too polite" for my tastes. My personal tastes align the absolute most with the Goldie MK1.5 though, I love how loose and flabby its character is while still retaining the traditional Tone Bender leanness in the lows.
The green bastard is as polite as people think, it’s great for solo lines, but it’s all mkll baby. Its really not as smoothed over as people think
Good to know. I recently got a Carr Mercury and have discovered that the MK2 was absolutely made for Marshall-style amps. Match made in heaven. I like it far better than into a tweed or blackface Fender, or a Vox-y thang. But with fuzz, I'm kind of a "nastier the better" fella, so MK1, MK1.5, and a nasty MK3/MK4 is really my bag. But that composed focused fuzz thing of a MK2 is so unique it's definitely a worthy addition.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Yep Marshall’s and benders are a match made it heaven