Idle South

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Post by Idle South »

There is one for sale here in the buy/sell/trade at a mighty fine price
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17223
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

Idle South wrote:There is one for sale here in the buy/sell/trade at a mighty fine price
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17223
Thanks Idle South! :badlove: Just trying to sell a Super Bee so i can hopefully get the Goldie!
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

The only thing holding me back from buying this is the incredibly hot weather in Sydney. I would hate to have such an awesome pedal and not be able to use half the time :/
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

That brick bender looks beautiful! Same price as the stock?
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

:popcorn:

ha - brick bender - you guys are too much ! so copperhead / brick bender - got to say i quite like brick bender
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Hey... If it can bend a brick .. That's some proper wicked matrix shit!
Brick bender ftw!

How longs the list on the BB?
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

Brick bender = BEST PEDAL EVER!
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

sluttyindian wrote:The only thing holding me back from buying this is the incredibly hot weather in Sydney. I would hate to have such an awesome pedal and not be able to use half the time :/
The Captain wrote:Cool new project number 1.5 :party:

The same but different. Some of you folk wanted the MKI.5 with OC75's, so here it is, but, with a lil cheeky variation on the theme.

I wasn't actually keen on doing the MKI.5 with OC75's because it makes for a very erratic and unstable circuit. Any one owning one or anyone who has had the joy of playing an original will notice that the thing flips out with extreme temperature shifts, to the point of not actually passing a usable signal. Original MKI.5's are also very inconstant from one unit to the next, this and the previously mentioned information don't make for a particularity great project if you plan on making something in any kind of number that you then plan to sell.

So compromise. It is the stock OC75 circuit but with two slight mods. The main addition is a pull-down resistor on the base of Q1. What does this do? It correctly biases the circuit for this transistor type. It's not really a cheat as such or anything that will alter the tone any, it is actually a part that is present in the MKII circuit so it is still quite true to its roots, so to speak. The second addition is a pull-down capacitor on the input. Again same as you see on some MKII's. Basically this just shunts back ground noise, it's not a tone shaping part.

Tone wise, it's a MKI.5 with OC75's. Chewy and torn around the edges. Gnarlier and rougher sounding than the OC84 model. Gain levels are good for a two transistor Tone Bender with pretty good clean-up abilities with a nice dynamic range for a fuzz box packing OC75's.
Also, it's copper, or bronze, or brown, or red...the thing is a damn chameleon! Different light different colour...and at no extra charge.
Steve did this mod to my Pigdog OC75 1.5
When I sent it to him it was barely farting to not passing a signal. I've since had no problem with the heat. Granted Sydney is hotter than Seattle but those days were about 90 degrees fahrenheit
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Yeah mate, I was lucky enough to snag a brick bender which had the 'dirty hippie' mod! Take that australian sun!

The brick bender is easily one of the best pedals ever
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
fendersilver

Post by fendersilver »

Baked On Date Image 06/12/2010

_________________________________________________________________________________
"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over;
it should mean that your journey is just getting started!"