D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Post by The Captain »

Okay so, cool new product number 1 :party: Go!

As most of you guessed this is a re-make of, what is commonly referred to as, the Tone Bender MKI.5. Said to be the first circuit type used in any Sola Sound sand cast enclosure and the only Tone Bender made with two germanium transistors. The MKI.5 like all the Sola Sound fuzz boxes from that period (circa 1965-68) has an odd history and certain factors that that confuse anyone geeky enough to get involved with tracing its history. Why did the enclosure never state a brand name?, did Gary Hurst design it?, why did some units have a MKII circuit inside? Was the design anything to do with Dick Denney? How come the Arbiter Fuzz Face has pretty much the same circuit?...and so on.

Any ways, back to the future. Same dealio as with the Sola Sound Professional MKII. This is a Sola Sound pedal manufactured by D*A*M. These pedals represent many years of research and study on the original units. The new Sola Sound MKI.5 is based on research that was conducted on over 10+ original vintage units to hopefully give you folk an obtainable and authentic sounding pedal that not only has the tone of a genuine vintage pedal but the tone of a good sounding example. As in, not all vintage pedals sound great, some are good some are amazing. The sound squeezed into the pedals is intended to represent the cream of the crop.

So sonically what can you expect? The tone is a little heavier and denser when compared to that of the Professional MKII. Has some of that beefy woolliness of a good germanium Fuzz Face but still has enough cut and shove to not completely loose it in the mix. The saturation levels are lower too so works pretty neat for driving a big ballsy amplifier over the edge but never to the extent that things completely fall apart. If your a Fuzz Face fan then you're on home territory. Philip did a sweet ass clip of a MKI.5 I loaned him. It pretty much nails it and some how these things can work.

If you wanna get your hands on one of these pedals you need to email Macaris.

http://www.macaris.co.uk/

Oh and the Gold colour, folk got all up in our shit so we decided to use a different colour scheme to signify this as being a true Tone Bender :badteeth:

Special magical thanks to Electric Warrior for the most excellent help with the Sola Sound logo :tu:

Betterer guts shots soon, when its not raining...

Edit: New pics 24th November...slightly less rain.

Note, this be my reference pedal. It has been pimped with an original set of Bulgin chicken heads....you don't gets them with your one. :chillin:

MKI.5 variant/new batch announcements

Puke Bender - 2013

Batch 2 - 2017

Batch 2.5 - 2019
Laundromat

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Post by Laundromat »

Let's just say I'm pretty fucking excited to be on the list. :party:
Condolences, the bums lost!
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

SWEEEEEEEEET!!!
thevibe

Post by thevibe »

Nice. Funny on your previous sola launch ...the rain was an issue? Nice pics anyways.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

The Captain wrote:

Oh and the Gold colour, folk got all up in our shit so we decided to use a different colour scheme to signify this as being a true Tone Bender :badteeth:

Special magical thanks to Electric Warrior for the most excellent help with the Sola Sound logo :tu:

Ahh, it's great to see it on a Sola Sound product again :badlove:
And accompanied by Futura - excellent font choice! :tu:
Last edited by Electric Warrior on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is transitional.
edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

I really hope anthony got my email!
haha

that looks like it will be amazing.
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
cubba

Post by cubba »

Looks gorgeous Dave, in and out.
Well deserved congratulations. :cheers:

What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Super100

Post by Super100 »

In!...so in...Many thanks Captain and Ant. This is going to be awesome. Are those OC84s I see in there? :crackjam:

Now the wait...the horrible horrible wait... :bong2:
korchha

Post by korchha »

Mighty Excited!!

:badlove:
Last edited by korchha on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello Betsy. Hi, it's Travis. How ya doin'? Listen, uh, I'm, I'm sorry about the, the other night. I didn't know that was the way you felt about it. Well, I-I didn't know that was the way you felt. I-I-I would have taken ya somewhere else.
happiass

Post by happiass »

:smashed: Beautiful. Man, I cannot wait for this one. Wait, "cool new product product number 1"??? :hmm: