D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII SCB

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

walkingtiger

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII SCB

Post by walkingtiger »

hamoftruth wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:12 am
walkingtiger wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:24 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:58 pm I think they trickle thru slowly. Mine is secondhand but was made in 2019 if I remember correctly.
Thank you for the glimmer of hope!! I’ve only seen them go up for sale a couple times since 2019, so you got real lucky for sure. I can imagine this one sounds glorious in a mix with that extra bite!

:flame:
It's # is in the 70s so they're definitely not as common as the standard issue MK2s, but not as rare as the Green Bastard obviously. I'm quite fortunate to have both it and an OC84 MK2, and it's funny when the website descriptions are pretty much bang on when you finally play them. The Blue Meanie SCB sounds exactly as it's described, brighter on the highs but also falls apart and chops up more on the lows, with lots more gain. It's a wild one, hard to reign in sometimes. I need to get my Tele bridge pickup to be less microphonic because it always wants to take off with the Blue Meanie.

Oh wow, I figured there would have been more out there by 2019! If you ever get a chance, it would be killer to see pictures!! I’m pretty sure they changed up the Hammertone and started using oc75’s by 2019. I’m assuming you landed one with the new killer paint job and transistors. Your description also sounds like it’s an amazing dynamic fuzz. I hope you get the tele where you like it, they sound like a perfect pair! Does the Meanie clean up at all when dialing the tele’s volume back?
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

walkingtiger wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:23 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:58 pm I think they trickle thru slowly. Mine is secondhand but was made in 2019 if I remember correctly.
Thank you for the glimmer of hope!! I’ve only seen them go up for sale a couple times since 2019, so you got real lucky for sure. I can imagine this one sounds glorious in a mix with that extra bite!

It's # is in the 70s so they're definitely not as common as the standard issue MK2s, but not as rare as the Green Bastard obviously. I'm quite fortunate to have both it and an OC84 MK2, and it's funny when the website descriptions are pretty much bang on when you finally play them. The Blue Meanie SCB sounds exactly as it's described, brighter on the highs but also falls apart and chops up more on the lows, with lots more gain. It's a wild one, hard to reign in sometimes. I need to get my Tele bridge pickup to be less microphonic because it always wants to take off with the Blue Meanie.

Oh wow, I figured there would have been more out there by 2019! If you ever get a chance, it would be killer to see pictures!! I’m pretty sure they changed up the Hammertone and started using oc75’s by 2019. I’m assuming you landed one with the new killer paint job and transistors. Your description also sounds like it’s an amazing dynamic fuzz. I hope you get the tele where you like it, they sound like a perfect pair! Does the Meanie clean up at all when dialing the tele’s volume back?
Ok I just double checked, it's from 2021 actually. So even more recent, but still numbered in the 70s. I believe these have always used OC75 transistors. I think the differences in coloring really depend on the lighting - some of the earlier pics look very blue while the pics from batch a few years back appear more teal/aqua. Mine can look like either depending on the lighting/conditions. It will clean up, but more to a crispy crunchy character than as clean and composed as my OC84 Pro MK2.
20220215_173124.jpg
20220215_173124.jpg (672.72 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Whatever you call it, it’s one handsome blob of metal!
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

hamoftruth wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:33 pm
walkingtiger wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Ok I just double checked, it's from 2021 actually. So even more recent, but still numbered in the 70s. I believe these have always used OC75 transistors. I think the differences in coloring really depend on the lighting - some of the earlier pics look very blue while the pics from batch a few years back appear more teal/aqua. Mine can look like either depending on the lighting/conditions. It will clean up, but more to a crispy crunchy character than as clean and composed as my OC84 Pro MK2.

20220215_173124.jpg
Hahaha I’m even more doomed!!!

Thank you for sharing, that’s a beautiful shot! It’s like the Shelby Cobra of Benders!!

You’re totally right on the transistors, it looks like they always came with oc75’s from the onslaught. I must of been confusing it with the Goldie and MKII. Thank you for clarifying the paint job as well, they look so good when those teal/aqua tones are shinning through. The hammer on yours looks a bit more textured than the early versions, but I’m probably wrong on that as well. Either way, David’s builds from the past couple years are just amazing.

That’s good news that it cleans up a little without crumbling apart too. I love backing the guitar volume off a bit in the higher gain settings on my MKII to take a little hair and background noise out. Hopefully someday the Meanie and myself will cross paths!

:freakout: