GB-80

Fuzz tones for the musically outrageous and mentally overdriven.

Moderator: The Captain

Brown90

Post by Brown90 »

Hey guys !

To those who've had the opportunity to own both the GB-80 and the GB-83, which one would you advise me to get on the waitlist for, knowing that I already have a Meathead and a Fuzzrong FR-70 and that I play with a Telecaster on a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue.

I'm not really looking for something very high-gain, a pedal that goes from overdrive to distortion and to fuzzy overdrive for rythm for example would be really great. I've read somewhere on this forum that someone thought the GB-80 had more gain and someone else thought the contrary...

Thank you so much in advance !
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

You sir need the gb-83...lot less gain than the 80. I'd think of the 80 as a tightened, midrangey MK II and the 83 as a bright, cutting, fuzzy booster.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Brown90

Post by Brown90 »

Thank you very much :) ! The search for one can finally begin !
mjkk

Re:

Post by mjkk »

Brown90 wrote:Hey guys !

To those who've had the opportunity to own both the GB-80 and the GB-83, which one would you advise me to get on the waitlist for, knowing that I already have a Meathead and a Fuzzrong FR-70 and that I play with a Telecaster on a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue.

I'm not really looking for something very high-gain, a pedal that goes from overdrive to distortion and to fuzzy overdrive for rythm for example would be really great. I've read somewhere on this forum that someone thought the GB-80 had more gain and someone else thought the contrary...

Thank you so much in advance !
I was the one who thought the contrary. The GB-83 is extrememly gear sensitive. I was running it fully cranked into a cranked higher gain Marshall. That did have alot of gain, but I think is just gettting more natural gain out of the Marshall, than say the GB-80. The GB-80 has more gain going into a clean or slightly dirty amp. For those of you that have both knobs cranked on your GB-83, do you agree?
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I agree the gb-83 has a lot more output volume on tap but the gb-80 has more internal gain.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Yep for sure :)
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
pothole

Re: Re:

Post by pothole »

mjkk wrote:For those of you that have both knobs cranked on your GB-83, do you agree?
Totally agree..the 80 (AC125) has a ton more gain with medium output single coils into a slightly dirty amp than the 83. With my rig (80's strat into AC15), the 83 is cleaner, brighter, and cleans up better with the guitar volume where the 80 is much dirtier, darker, less clean up, more squishy, and a little more 3D sounding due to the harmonics and overtones. Both awesome, but the 80 stayed on my board as the strat/vox is pretty damn bright as-is.
Brown90

Post by Brown90 »

Thank you all for your answers, I still cannot really make up my mind though, the 2 of them sound so good :). My Fender amp is set clean most of the time and slightly dirty sometimes and I play 60's and 70's influenced rock mixed with psychedelic influences. The Fuzzrong is perfect for that, it gives me the Stooges sound in spades and the Meathead is also perfect for the heavier parts of my songs !
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

I'd get a GB-80, the GB-83 might be a bit much for the fender :)
Brown90

Post by Brown90 »

Great, thank you :)

I got on the waitlist for one at Tommy's Guitar Shop a few weeks ago !