Amps that work well with fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

hamoftruth

Re: Amps that work well with fuzz

Post by hamoftruth »

vanguard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm
vanguard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:33 pm Of all the amps I've owned, I'd say my 1964 Princeton Reverb takes fuzz best. Other blackface Fenders are too scooped, resulting in a brittle fuzz, my English amps are too warm, resulting in an overly smooth fuzz.

The PR has clarity, but with less high treble and more low mids. Lands a fuzz in Goldie locks territory.
What is it about Princeton circuits that makes them have a more robust midrange than even a Deluxe? Even if you put a 12" speaker in a Princeton and beef up the transformer, it still has more mids than a similarly powered Deluxe. I don't know enough about amp circuits to really know why. :hmm:

I 100% agree with your assessment as well. I have a Morgan PR12 (beefy Princeton) and it handles fuzzes like a champ.
The Princeton Reverb lacks the so-called bright cap that is present in other black/silver panel Fenders. This attenuates those glassy high trebles that make fuzz sound sizzly and harsh. It still has the Black-panel negative feedback though, so that scoops the mids. An unusual approach to phase inversion loosens the low-end and adds compression. Just glancing at the schematic here, all those things seem to add up to a middle ground between, say, a British style amp, and a Deluxe Reverb.
That makes sense, but even minus the bright cap, my experiences with Deluxe Reverbs have been much scoopier that my Princeton style amps. Some something about the phase inversion in the Princeton makes it a bit more compressed with looser lows. Interesting... I love them both. :badteeth:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

hamoftruth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:45 pm
vanguard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm
hamoftruth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm
vanguard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:33 pm Of all the amps I've owned, I'd say my 1964 Princeton Reverb takes fuzz best. Other blackface Fenders are too scooped, resulting in a brittle fuzz, my English amps are too warm, resulting in an overly smooth fuzz.

The PR has clarity, but with less high treble and more low mids. Lands a fuzz in Goldie locks territory.
What is it about Princeton circuits that makes them have a more robust midrange than even a Deluxe? Even if you put a 12" speaker in a Princeton and beef up the transformer, it still has more mids than a similarly powered Deluxe. I don't know enough about amp circuits to really know why. :hmm:

I 100% agree with your assessment as well. I have a Morgan PR12 (beefy Princeton) and it handles fuzzes like a champ.
The Princeton Reverb lacks the so-called bright cap that is present in other black/silver panel Fenders. This attenuates those glassy high trebles that make fuzz sound sizzly and harsh. It still has the Black-panel negative feedback though, so that scoops the mids. An unusual approach to phase inversion loosens the low-end and adds compression. Just glancing at the schematic here, all those things seem to add up to a middle ground between, say, a British style amp, and a Deluxe Reverb.
That makes sense, but even minus the bright cap, my experiences with Deluxe Reverbs have been much scoopier that my Princeton style amps. Some something about the phase inversion in the Princeton makes it a bit more compressed with looser lows. Interesting... I love them both. :badteeth:
I really want a Black-panel Deluxe (no reverb). I miss the super glassy thing my Twin and Super did. Same gripes though, the Twin was too heavy, as was the Super. The Super had the additional strike for me in that it was super bassy
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

vanguard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:15 pm I really want a Black-panel Deluxe (no reverb). I miss the super glassy thing my Twin and Super did. Same gripes though, the Twin was too heavy, as was the Super. The Super had the additional strike for me in that it was super bassy
Yeah that glassy/scooped thing is a dream tone for me that the Princeton never quite gets to. The Deluxe seems the lowest powered of the Fender combos to attain that, in my experience at least. Been hunting for the right one for a while now.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues