Marshall Supa Wah

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

mjkk

Marshall Supa Wah

Post by mjkk »

Wondering if anyt here has had a go with one of these. I have the oppertunity to pick one up for a decent price. Has the germ 2G374's.
Thanks for your info!
~M
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

i dunno about the real ones, but brad built a killer wah based on the germy supa

"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Would you know the tonal difference between a Supa. and say a McCoy?
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

I thought they were Colorsound based? Stu would be your main man to answer your question 100%
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Really the Supa Wah is colorsound based. tons of low end then I assume?? I'll give Stu a email, unless he sees this and chimes in :)
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

There was one, here in Poland for sale recently for about $290.
Here's some p0rn:
Attachments
msw_pedal.jpg
msw_pedal.jpg (159.5 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
msw_label.jpg
msw_label.jpg (159.49 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
msw_guts.jpg
msw_guts.jpg (165.51 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
msw_board.jpg
msw_board.jpg (150.39 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

there seems to be a lot of mystery around the supawah. some were germanium, possibly later silicons were used. reports of widely varying inductor values used. this would have caused a wide swing in freq. response from unit to unit.

i believe brad's unit above has a custom made inductor, which contributes to that deep low endy tone, which i really like. but there is another supawah vid on youtube ( vintage unit) that sounds thin and more like a normal wah.
effect archeologists note that the circuit is roughly based on early vox wahs, as many wahs of the time were. i think the differences come down to inductor Mh more than anything else, which in the case of the supawah makes getting a used one a crapshoot.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Graham has a big post somewhere on here about them. If I remember he said they're nothing to write home about compared to a Clyde, etc but might be worth a pick up if you can get it for cheap!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Creepyfingers

Re: Marshall Supa Wah

Post by Creepyfingers »

The Marshall Supawah is probably closer to a Crybaby circuit than a Colorsound but it has a way bigger inductor and the .22's caps are .1's. Its lower voiced compared to the Crybaby. Very vocal but can be on the dark side. That green one was a point to point build...
Stu

Re: Marshall Supa Wah

Post by Stu »

I've owned a few Supa Wahs, and repaired a number for others. From the data I've gathered, it appears that 4000 - 5000 were made between 1969 and 1973. They were based on the Vox/Crybaby circuit, with a few notable changes: germanium transistors ('69-'71), 0.1uF vs. 0.22uF caps, a 200k linear pot and a larger value inductor. Joe is correct that the later ones had silicon transistors. There is a wide spread on inductance values; I serviced one which had a 600mH inductor, but most are closer to 1H. With the lower sweep range, a linear pot, and a big clunky housing, I'd suggest they're more suited to adding some colour to rhythm work than Hendrix/Clapton style wig outs.