The Setup of the Day Thread

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

i love sharin foo

The Setup of the Day Thread

Post by i love sharin foo »

I started a thread like this on the OffsetGuitars forum about 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I figured we could give it a go here too. Let's see what you are using RIGHT NOW!
Last night, it was these three ('91 ebony board Studio, '02 Standard, '08 Classic):
Any day now, the black SG is getting a pair of purple Bare Knuckle AlNiCo Warpigs transplanted with a pair of old Russian PIO caps and Bare Knuckle CTS pots. I CAN"T WAIT!! Been wanting to do this for a long time now.

into this:
Small, simple setup, right to the point.

Heavy amps for heavy tones :hihi: :
I was running the Overdrive 120 into a '70s 4x12 and a 2x12, and the Green 120 into 2 4x12s. Both amps are run real dirty, pretty high volume generally.
HorseyBoy

Re: The Setup of the Day Thread

Post by HorseyBoy »

Love that thread at OSG!
I take it you like Gibsons. And Bigsby trems. And DAM fuzz. And Orange amps. Sound must absolutely CRUSH.
I've only ever had one guitar with a Bigsby - a 64 Epi Wilshire that now lives in Italy somewhere - but always wanted another.
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

That thread has almost 2000 replies by now! I figure everyone likes to see some gratuitous gear shots, so it only makes sense heh.

Yeah.. I like Gibsons (and Bigsbys).. a lot. When it comes to an SG, I really like the extra mass that you get with one.. it helps them balance better. Plus to my ears it seems like you get a denser tone. The highs are more compressed and they might not sound quite as alive, but it pays dividends for the lows, nearest I can tell. Incidentally, I DO use them for some vibrato too :badteeth: I've had a couple '60s Gretsches with them and currently have a '65 Silvertone Chris Isaak 1446L with one. They just make everything cooler IMHO.
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

Too lazy to grab a camera. (Maybe later? Until then you can use your imagination.)

For tonight:

Inter-Mark Cipher > Basic Audio Warp > Basic Audio Standard Fuzz+ > Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge > Stone Deaf PDF-1 > Kay 703
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

All right, I'll get into the spirit. Just finished up a day of going over new songs with a bandmate and this is what I used: 1990 Firebird with Zhangbucker bridge pup (will throw the missing neck pup back in soon) into effects (mainly used the Basic Audio Fuzz Mutant and Jimmy Behan Schaller Tremolo today, with a bit of the SUF Violet Ram's Head Muff and Rat thrown in for good measure) into the little Vox AC4TV amp. Makes a pretty decent racket…

(Couldn't stand the damn Firebird up so the pic is a bit iffy.)
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Nice set up Horseyboy, that Firebird :badlove: been wanting one for a while but hard to come by for us Lefties

^^ those orange amps and Gibsons :headpop:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

innerflight wrote:Nice set up Horseyboy, that Firebird :badlove: been wanting one for a while but hard to come by for us Lefties
I believe Joe Gagan is in the same left-handed boat :oldgrin:
Funny, but a guitar tech I know is a lefty who can play right-handed guitars turned upside down. The Firebird always looks great when he picks it up - like it's finally the right way round.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Just had a wee look and saw Joe's posting about left handed firebirds, cool.
this months Guitarist has a big write up on them also, great stuff :coffee:

ill put my set up up in a couple of days got some new pedals arriving first
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 12716 times
’brutish in character but not thug like’
moose

Post by moose »

Last night's setup was modded Squier classic vibe jazz, Sound City B100 MK3 and Ampeg 8x10. Punk Rock. :freakout:
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Today was Fender Japan Stratocaster > Castledine WIzard > Jerms Rat > Roland Micro Cube